Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dents on Plated Bullets

kylethunder380

Hey guys, I recently got some bullets from a plated bullet mfg whose name I will leave out. The plating seems to be reasonably thick and they are consistently sized. But, the plating (on ALL of them) has several small "dents", randomly spread over the entire bullet. The dents are not deep and if I had to guess, I'd say there is an average of about 15 dents per bullet. They were 9mm 147 grain copper plated bullets which were sized to .357 per my request. I have used the same bullet sized to .356 in the past, and a similar 135 grain bullet, and do not recall them looking like this. Is this going to affect the accuracy I am going to get out of these bullets, or do you think they will be fine? I do not have a camera to provide a photo, but I have tried to accurately described how they look.

Thanks,

-Kyle

Hey guys, I recently got some bullets from a plated bullet mfg whose name I will leave out. The plating seems to be reasonably thick and they are consistently sized. But, the plating (on ALL of them) has several small "dents", randomly spread over the entire bullet. The dents are not deep and if I had to guess, I'd say there is an average of about 15 dents per bullet. They were 9mm 147 grain copper plated bullets which were sized to .357 per my request. I have used the same bullet sized to .356 in the past, and a similar 135 grain bullet, and do not recall them looking like this. Is this going to affect the accuracy I am going to get out of these bullets, or do you think they will be fine? I do not have a camera to provide a photo, but I have tried to accurately described how they look.

Thanks,

-Kyle

Kyle,

I would think the chances are good that the dents are nothing more than a product of those soft bullets banging against each other either during packaging, transport or both. I doubt you have anything to worry about. But the true test is to load some up and test for yourself. Good Luck!

Thanks,

-Kyle

Kyle,

I would think the chances are good that the dents are nothing more than a product of those soft bullets banging against each other either during packaging, transport or both. I doubt you have anything to worry about. But the true test is to load some up and test for yourself. Good Luck!

+1

I think that has happened to me before too. I didn't test the dented bullets for accuracy but they seemed just as good.

Thanks,

-Kyle

Kyle,

+1

I think that has happened to me before too. I didn't test the dented bullets for accuracy but they seemed just as good.

+1 x2

I agree that the bullets should function just fine. If there where any difference it would be very minuscule at distances around 25 yards. If you where shooting 100 yards and further, it would be more severely effected. I'd say use them as practice ammo.

Preston

• 2 weeks later...

I shoot Rainier 130 grain plated .356" bullets in my .38 Super and my Glock 9mm. They are all dented like you describe.

I don't get very good accuracy from the Glock, but the Super will do 2 inch 25 yard groups from a rest with the plated bullets.

At 50 yards they seem to 'lose it', and the groups are bad. I suspect bad balance from the dents. I also wonder if a dent in the nose wouldn't push the bullet off axis during bullet seating.