Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

burris 1x4 xtp

benny hill

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...

2009 was my first year shooting with Burris and using the XTR's. I was concerned about the reticle/load combo before I went to the range. Once I shot my load thru them at distances, those concerns are gone. I love the fact that I can travel to a match, check my zero at 100 and know you're going to be on at long distance. I found their paperwork explaing the BDC/reticle/loads kind of confusing. I've learned first hand that it's easier to take your load, go to the range and see for yourself. Take my two loads for example: my 55gr. Sierra BlitzKings at 3100 fps hits just touching the top of the 300 yard dot...at 300 yards. My 77gr Sierra MK's hit just at the bottom of the 300 yard dot. If you're thinking about buying this scope and study it on paper/computer, you'll see an impact difference but in reality, you put the dot on target and shoot. I also shot at a Las Vegas range before the USPSA Multigun Nationals and shot my 55gr Blitzking load at a rock 930 yards away. (ranged with laser) I held the reticle for 950 and hit a few feet low. Two shots later, I had the elevation, one more hold adjustment for wind and I hit the rock using the 1000 yard hash mark.

The illuminated reticle wasn't a big issue until the second match of the year. In fact I never really practiced with it much, just knew it was there and didn't give it much thought. The FN Midwest 3-gun stage in the woods ..... wow. I turned on the reticle on thinking "it can't hurt" and made ready for the run. Somewhere about the 3rd target into the stage, I felt like I was shooting a pistol. I saw the red reticle on the target and I shooting my rifle like my open pistol. Red dot on target... let'r rip. Then I started turning on the reticle for every stage. Sometimes I notice it, other times I don't. I really notice it on black targets when a normal black reticle would wash out. I often forgot to shut it off overnight and killed a battery or two.

I started shooting the 1 x 4 XTR for the beginning part of last year and upgraded to the 1.5 x 6 XTR at the end. I like the extra power for distance and I didn't feel and extra .5 at the lower end hurt any. I used the 1.5 x 6 at the Ft. Benning match with good results.

I just received a special order 1.5 x 6 XTR without the large target knobs. Who needs target knobs when you have the BDC reticle? Lower profile, lower weight.... Perfect for a Squad Designated Marksman. I'll have it on my gun shortly and will see you all in Phoenix for the SMM3-G.

Bruce

2009 was my first year shooting with Burris and using the XTR's. I was concerned about the reticle/load combo before I went to the range. Once I shot my load thru them at distances, those concerns are gone. I love the fact that I can travel to a match, check my zero at 100 and know you're going to be on at long distance. I found their paperwork explaing the BDC/reticle/loads kind of confusing. I've learned first hand that it's easier to take your load, go to the range and see for yourself. Take my two loads for example: my 55gr. Sierra BlitzKings at 3100 fps hits just touching the top of the 300 yard dot...at 300 yards. My 77gr Sierra MK's hit just at the bottom of the 300 yard dot. If you're thinking about buying this scope and study it on paper/computer, you'll see an impact difference but in reality, you put the dot on target and shoot. I also shot at a Las Vegas range before the USPSA Multigun Nationals and shot my 55gr Blitzking load at a rock 930 yards away. (ranged with laser) I held the reticle for 950 and hit a few feet low. Two shots later, I had the elevation, one more hold adjustment for wind and I hit the rock using the 1000 yard hash mark.

The illuminated reticle wasn't a big issue until the second match of the year. In fact I never really practiced with it much, just knew it was there and didn't give it much thought. The FN Midwest 3-gun stage in the woods ..... wow. I turned on the reticle on thinking "it can't hurt" and made ready for the run. Somewhere about the 3rd target into the stage, I felt like I was shooting a pistol. I saw the red reticle on the target and I shooting my rifle like my open pistol. Red dot on target... let'r rip. Then I started turning on the reticle for every stage. Sometimes I notice it, other times I don't. I really notice it on black targets when a normal black reticle would wash out. I often forgot to shut it off overnight and killed a battery or two.

I started shooting the 1 x 4 XTR for the beginning part of last year and upgraded to the 1.5 x 6 XTR at the end. I like the extra power for distance and I didn't feel and extra .5 at the lower end hurt any. I used the 1.5 x 6 at the Ft. Benning match with good results.

I just received a special order 1.5 x 6 XTR without the large target knobs. Who needs target knobs when you have the BDC reticle? Lower profile, lower weight.... Perfect for a Squad Designated Marksman. I'll have it on my gun shortly and will see you all in Phoenix for the SMM3-G.

Bruce

Interesting comments, Bruce. I drank the Koolaid and thought it was necessary to have a true 1x low end (or as close to it as possible). I've considered that 1.5-6x scope for the long range targets, but discounted it because of the smaller FOV. Now you've got me rethinking. It could be a great scope at the MGM Ironman. I agree that turret knobs aren't needed, or even desirable, on a 3gun or designated marksman scope that has BDC.