Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RO/Scorekeeping Question

prreed10

Yes, it is my understanding that the scorekeeper can call procedurals, etc as well as the RO. The RO is supposed to be keeping his eyes on the gun and could well miss some procedurals and FTDR's etc. At least this is good for IDPA-not sure about USPSA.

Edited by The_Vigilante

I guess it would matter if this is a local match where you just picked up the clipboard to help or are you actually an assigned SO?

If just helping out then a quick conversation with the SO may be in order. If you are an SO then yes that is part your job. JMO

First of all:

IDPA: SO

USPSA: RO

Yes the scorekeeper is also acting as an SO and also needs to position themselves to compliment the SO running the shooter, so that they can look for cover, range failures and other issues. The scorekeeper can also call out the warnings and of course stop if need be.

Before marking the final score, it's also best to confer with the SO running the shooter to see if they saw it and discuss.

Yep. The clipboard SO is responsible for cover and target engagement order. The SO with the timer is a little busy dealing with the firearm and other safety aspects to look at other stuff.

Any FTDR deserves a mini-conference between the SO's.

Adam

Before marking the final score, it's also best to confer with the SO running the shooter to see if they saw it and discuss.

+1 The scorekeeper should approach the SO with the issue, and then decide what should be scored.

As mentioned above, the SO is supposed to be focused on the gun, so things like tactical sequence, priority, and number of shots can sometimes be missed by the SO, and it is the scorekeepers responsibility to back the SO up.

Ryan

Thanks guys. I am the assistant director at my club, but when when we go to other local matches, we usually end up helping. The SO running the guy was new - we ran him through a SO class in January. All in all, there were about 5 calls he missed. Some we brought to his attention, but some we just shook our head at.

Rather than just shake your head and ignore the issue, use it as a chance to educate him. Approach him and coach him on what to look for and perhaps explain what he missed and offer tips on positioning himself etc so he won't miss the same things again on other shooters. We're all volunteers and looking to learn.

• 2 weeks later...

In the old rule book ( prior to '05), the scorekeeper's duties were spelled out and these things were listed as their responsibility. I don't know why this was dropped from the new book. As has been stated, the SO is supposted to be watching the gun and the shooter's hand. I also talk to the SO before assessing pentalites. They know that I know I'm supposed to be watching and helping. They all appreciate the help.

Granderojo