Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mystery Mountain Tactical Class Set-up

bthp

I'm moving this out of the 3G Rifle forum as it is not exclusively about rifles.

P.S. Though I've never been there, I can almost guarantee the winners used AR-15 type rifles, S_I pistols, and Remington or Benelli shotguns. :)

Edited by Erik Warren

That about sums it up.

Dominant optics have been the ACOG TA11 for tactical class although a few US Optics have been seen. I predict the IOR Valdada 1.1-4X will be tough to beat. But the brand name on the scope won't determine the winner.

In theory, 9mm S-Is should dominate tactical class but .40s do just fine.

In theory, Benelli shotguns have an advantage due to the 22 in barrel rule.

kellyn, I'm thinking of shooting the next one. I recall reading that Cooley used JP "match rifle" type sights in Tactical-Iron, so I assume my Limited rifle with globe front is OK. My Limited shotgun should be legal, and there's no Major scoring, so I should just wimp-load my Limited pistol. But it looks like my Ghost holster isn't going to fly and I'll have to get something in Kydex to appease the tactical gods? But Safariland mag holders are OK?

SMM3G rules

• 1 month later...

Kelly,

Are you going to shoot the next Tucson match? I would like to take a look through your new IOR (I assume you have one by now).

Is your prediction regarding the SMM3G and scopes have anything to do with your scope of choice. :rolleyes:

I would contact Dan Furbee (Herr Direktor of zee match at ultimateaccessories.com) about the Safariland mag pouches. In the past, any iron sight has been fine, not just military style.

I should be shooting in Tucson on the 30th and I will bring the amazing IOR optic.

I have the CQB reticle, not the dot or donut. I have not made up my mind about the CQB reticle. David Neth used one to win the DPMS 3 gun match in Michigan. I like it except the dot is too small. They should have made it 2 MOA. It's an interesting concept but I think the BAC in a TA11 is better.

My prediction about the IOR is due to the variable power, something that ACOGs don't have. For me (if not Kurt Miller), the ability to crank it down to 1.1X really helps on the close stuff. Plus they're cheaper!

I had a chance to look through the IOR scope w/ CQB reticle, it is way too busy and the dot is real small, but then I'm comparing it to the Leupold CQ/T, which could use a few more markings in its reticle for beyond the 200 yds stuff.

I have been dinking around with the CQB reticle for the last week or so. The horseshoe is 10 MOA on its inside edges, 18 moa on its outside edges, (at 100 meters) so it is incredibily quick to "frame" a paper target or even a steel plate out to 100 yds. The trick (or difficulty) has been transitioning to the 1 MOA dot when going after distance targets. I had been using a Leupold CQT with a 3 MOA dot, which was too big for plates at 300 yds. The CQT was a big disapointment as far as match usage.

I have been keeping the illumination on while using to train myself to use the dot correctly. It could be bigger, (2 MOA), but I think once I am used to it, it will work out pretty well. The reticle size is fixed at any power, so at 4 power and 300 yards, you see a 6 inch dot on a 10 inch plate, so it worked fine this week on plates so far with the illumination on. We will se what happens over time as I try to use it without the illumination, whether the 1 moa dot gets lost or not.

• 1 month later...

I like that Kahles scope of yours except the reticle. I think the thin cross hairs are a bit thin.

Without having them side by side, I'm not sure. They're certainly in the same class regarding clarity but on paper the Kahles has a wider field of view. I would not run out and get an IOR when you're running that Kahles UNLESS you want to shoot Mystery Mountain 3 Gun in Tac Scope class where your sissy Kahles is verboten as obviously does not have the quality of the scopes on the sacred approved list such as the Colt 4X or the CMore Scout. :lol: And the IOR retails for $5 less that the Kahles 1.1-4X. :P

Does Kahles make an illuminated reticle?

They don't make an illuminated in that scope I know, they also have a ranging reticle that they put in some hunting scopes but not an option in that scope. If anyone knows anyone at Kahles, tell them to put the TDS reticle in the 1.1-4 and illuminate it and have the best scope on the planet at the momment, but if they don't want to sell more sissy scopes just leave it like it is and blind sissies like me, Kyle, Todd, Bob, etc will just muddle along with them. Anybody want mine I think I would rather shoot a real scope like the colt than a ssisy scope? :angry: