Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone here ever been to Israel?

I am planning a trip to Israel this summer and wanted to see if anyone here has any recommendations? We are spending a week there and have never been. We want to see Jerusalem and I want to see Petra. Any other suggestions? Any place to shoot there (I meant leagally as a tourist!!!). Let me know your suggestions. We are staying in Tel Aviv.

Thanks,

Jason

Edited by Fast Shooter Wannabe

I am plannign a trip to Israel this summer and wanted to see if anyone here has any recommendations? We are spending a week there and have never been. We want to see Jerusalem and I want to see Petra. Any other suggestions? Any place to shoot there (I meant leagally as a tourist!!!). Let me know your suggestions. We are staying in Tel Aviv.

Thanks,

Jason

If you are looking to shoot, contact Saul Kirsch at Double Alpha. While I know he lives in Europe now, I'm sure he could lend a fellow shooter a hand.

Not sure how travel is these days between Israel and Jordan where Petra is, but you might want to investigate that carefully. Tour groups, like everywhere, will haul you to whatever lunch place and gift shop they have a deal with but are otherwise worthwhile, especially if you want to go to Bethlehem or other West Bank spots. It's been 15 years since I was there though, so my info may be way out of date. I found the Dead Sea and Masada to be an interesting trip as well.

From what I understand, the border crossing between Jordan and Israel is pretty routine, and only costs $15/person. I am looking to hire a private guide for my family, but it depends upon the cost. I really appreciate the suggestions. If someone could get me Saul Kirsh's information, it would be helpful.

Thanks,

Jason

From what I understand, the border crossing between Jordan and Israel is pretty routine, and only costs $15/person. I am looking to hire a private guide for my family, but it depends upon the cost. I really appreciate the suggestions. If someone could get me Saul Kirsh's information, it would be helpful.

Thanks,

Jason

I am assuming that you are an American Citizen. The reason i bring this up is that you need to contact certain government agencies to identify any potential threat to American Citizens abroad. Isreal is a Blast, do not get me wrong, but it is also a country that is a target everyday. As American we are alittle out of the loop on observance of potential threats abroad. I would caveat those above who said to use a trusted recommended tour agency, the thing about private guides is that it can be one person who knows everything you do not and it could put you and your family is a potentially dangerous situation. There is alot of great history and great beaches and just like any other big city Jerusalem has crime. I am not trying to rain on your parade or be a paranoid, but I have spent some time in many of the middle eastern countries and I would recommend the trip, as long as it is planned and you trust but validate, you plan to prevent problems, but also be aware that there are bombings and attacks that happen everyday against the Isrealis and a bus full of American Tourists becomes an inviting target. Research and contact the state department, homeland security, etc. to find trusted and validated tour agencies. Sorry to present so much drama, but these are trying times my friend. Be careful, T-VS

Edited by WINGMEN10

Thanks,

Jason

http://www.doublealpha.biz/?fs=pages/contact_us.htm#top

Not sure how travel is these days between Israel and Jordan where Petra is, but you might want to investigate that carefully. Tour groups, like everywhere, will haul you to whatever lunch place and gift shop they have a deal with but are otherwise worthwhile, especially if you want to go to Bethlehem or other West Bank spots. It's been 15 years since I was there though, so my info may be way out of date. I found the Dead Sea and Masada to be an interesting trip as well.

Pretty well sums it up. Spent 14 days there and I will Never forget the things I saw.

Awestruck still after 20 years.

Try to swim in the Dead Sea. You float out of the water with 1/3 of your body dry..LOL...

DON'T eat raw fruit!

Try to swim in the Dead Sea. You float out of the water with 1/3 of your body dry..LOL...

Yeah, I could lie down and roll over on the water without getting my head wet. That was wild.

(nb: The term 'water' is used loosely in relation to the Dead Sea. You really don't want to be dunking your head in it.)

Wingman,

I am an American Citizen and have done some research on the dangers of Israel. I do appreciate the warning and understand it's importance. I also have been to some unsafe countries (El Salvador, Mexico City(It could be a country with it's large population), & Greece-before the Olympics). It's a concern, but I am not going to let it deter me. Everyone I have talked to about their trip has said to go no matter what. A big second to Merlin and Shred, because it seems to be a common sentiment.

I'll look into the Dead Sea. Jerusalem is a must. Petra, well, let's just say I am a big Indiana Jones fan.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

I am very grateful.

Jason

Edited by Fast Shooter Wannabe

The Dead Sea and Masada in Israel have been mentioned already - two good places to see. In Jordan don't forget to see Wadi Rum. The hospitality of beduins is impressive, especially if You get the chance to have a nice traditional meal with them and spend an evening under the bright sky talking with them, drinking tea and smoking a water pipe.

Alex

Have been to Petra and it is not to be missed - and if you have travelled to El Salvador, you should be fine visiting Jordan. Get your visa EARLY - the embassy in Tel Aviv takes a while. Once you get there, I suggest renting the donkeys to visit the upper temples & renting camels to get back to the entrace at the end of the day (camels were more fun IMHO; my feet nearly dragged on the ground riding the donkeys).

As for Israel, I wrote this about my two visits in 2003 and 2004:

"I wish more anti-gun Americans would vacation in Israel It is an EXTREMELY safe place to visit now that the security fence around the west bank is in place & Gaza went to the PA. I have been there twice and they LOVE Americans there (try finding another country in the middle east like that).

In both Israel & Switzerland, the country is "awash in guns" and mere citizens are "armed to the teeth" with a "weapons cache" in every home.

Both countries have miniscule violent crime rates that are lower than the US.

What is the difference?

-though they have the guns, the Israelis & Swiss don't use them on each other.

U.S. anti-gun voters need to understand - its not the gun. Rather, its the mentality of the society that is at the root of the crime problem. "

Finally, I would go again to both countries in a heartbeat (especially Isreal) - but I might add that the hotel where we stayed in Aman was blown up back in 2005 or 2006 by terrorists targeting westerners. Keep a low profile & you will be fine (we were).

Wingman,

I am an American Citizen and have done some research on the dangers of Israel. I do appreciate the warning and understand it's importance. I also have been to some unsafe countries (El Salvador, Mexico City(It could be a country with it's large population), & Greece-before the Olympics). It's a concern, but I am not going to let it deter me. Everyone I have talked to about their trip has said to go no matter what. A big second to Merlin and Shred, because it seems to be a common sentiment.

I'll look into the Dead Sea. Jerusalem is a must. Petra, well, let's just say I am a big Indiana Jones fan.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

I am very grateful.

Jason

• 1 month later...

Israel was AMAZING! I think that every American should travel there. Seeing rifles everywhere made me feel very unarmed. I saw Tel Aviv, Jerusalem, the Dead Sea, Masada, and Quamram. Swimming in Dead Sea is an odd experience. The highlight for me was my wife's cousin who lives in Jerusalem is also a pilot. He owns the airfield near Masada and a few airplanes. We flew over Masada and the Dead Sea. It was amazing.

Thanks for all of the advice.

Pictures will be up soon.

Jason