Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do I take a revo into New York?

I am a California resident who will be in Rhode Island for the month of July. I would like to shoot the New England Regional Revolver CHampionship in Albany, NY. Does anyone (maybe a New England resident) know how I can go about getting the proper permissions or forms filled out to fly to Rhode Island with my Revolver and ammo, then drive to NY for the match?

Thank you.

Get in touch with the match director and have him send you a match invitation. Unless you are going to NY City itself that probably will do. I also suggest getting in contact with the Area 7 match director and asking him.

Good luck, have fun.

Hopalong

Contact the airline about the flying part. As far as driving into NY state from RI with a handgun it is usually not a problem. The gun must be unloaded and in a locked case in the trunk. Ammo in a separate bag or case. NY state requires that the match be sanctioned by the NRA and you should receive a letter or email stating as such. You should carry it with you as proof you are going to a shooting competition. Whatever you do, never fly into or out of New York City with a handgun. The match director can answer more questions. there is a link to John's email on the match schedule page of the ICORE website.

http://icore.org/match.html

Get hold of the Area 7 director. Rob has or can get you most all of the information you'll need.

Flying to Rhode Island should not be a problem. Pack your gun in a hard case, inside your luggage, declare that you have a firearm to check when checking in. They will give you a tag and call TSA to get you and do a bag inspection, the orange tag goes into your bag and is a signed declaration that the firearm is unloaded. Pack your ammo in ammo boxes, factory cardboard with dividers is OK, an most people seem to have no problem with the MTM/Dillon ammo boxes. You area allowed 11 pounds of ammo.

Get your entry form to the NY match. they will send you or they should send you a letter stating that you will be in NY state for a sanctioned match. Have this letter with you. Have the match information with you.

As for Rhode Island laws, I can't help you there. Rob Boudrie is the man to ask. If he contradicts anyting I've said, I suggest going with his information, not mine.

Jim