Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Issues (bulging, recoil)

SkyScrapin

Today I took the opportunity to leave work during lunch hours and go shoot around with my SVI IMM. I loaded a few rounds of 9.6g 2n28 MG124. After plinking a little, the recoil seemed a little unreasonable. A few nights ago I sat down and loaded up the same load with 10.6g 3n38. I fired a few of them and the recoil nearly disappeared! :surprise: For a second I though the loads weren't up to 170PF, but the rounds weight on a scale showing they where correct. I picked up nearly ever case an noticed that they had a miniscule bulge at the bottom. It is about a quarter inch from the rim of the brass casing. The primers seem a tiny tiny bit flatter than they where when previously loaded. Should I be worried or is this normal? :unsure: Anyhow, the casing is definately bulged a little at the bottom, this is not because of lack of going into battery. What else could cause this besides unussually high pressures. I thought that the primer was supposed to be the first thing to show signs increased pressures.

Edit: Caliber is .38 SC 10.6g 3n38 124jhp MG @ 1.235

Any input appreciated.

Preston

Edited by SkyScrapin

Today I took the opportunity to leave work during lunch hours and go shoot around with my SVI IMM. I loaded a few rounds of 9.6g 2n28 MG124. After plinking a little, the recoil seemed a little unreasonable. A few nights ago I sat down and loaded up the same load with 10.6g 3n38. I fired a few of them and the recoil nearly disappeared! :surprise: For a second I though the loads weren't up to 170PF, but the rounds weight on a scale showing they where correct. I picked up nearly ever case an noticed that they had a miniscule bulge at the bottom. It is about a quarter inch from the rim of the brass casing. The primers seem a tiny tiny bit flatter than they where when previously loaded. Should I be worried or is this normal? :unsure: Anyhow, the casing is definately bulged a little at the bottom, this is not because of lack of going into battery. What else could cause this besides unussually high pressures. I thought that the primer was supposed to be the first thing to show signs increased pressures.

Edit: Caliber is .38 SC 10.6g 3n38 124jhp MG @ 1.235

Any input appreciated.

Preston

The bulge is perfectly normal. Your loads are fine for 38 SC. 10.6 is pretty stout but probably required for an IMM.

Good deal. Makes me feel a lot better that I am not the only one dealing with bulging, ect.

With minor bulging at the bottom of the cases, how long would this brass last before tossing it and getting more?

Good deal. Makes me feel a lot better that I am not the only one dealing with bulging, ect.

With minor bulging at the bottom of the cases, how long would this brass last before tossing it and getting more?

No idea. Using N350 with 125s and 121s, 3N38 and N105 with 115s I've loaded cases well over ten times and toss them after the primer pockets get loose (probably 15+ loads on that practice brass). I don't recall seeing a split case in ages. All of my Open guns have left a very slight bulge in the case....no different than any other 9, 38S/SC I've seen. R,

Keep in mind that the IMM has evolved quite a bit since the early ones, it might be a good idea to state what hole and comp pattern you have.

Hybrid schueman (spelling) barrel w/ 3 ports. Compensator has 3 main ports and a side port on both sides at the end. In total between barrel and comp there are 8 holes.