Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tried IDPA and like it.

Ray R.

Shot a couple of IDPA matches (CDP) in the last two months, and like it.

I've been away from competitive shooting for a few years, and had to learn a few new things:

1] Drawing from concealment using a suitable holster is definately different from what I was used too. But after a thousand or so draws, its begining to be second nature. Not a problem.

2] The legal reloads don't always make sense, but aren't that big a deal.

3] Lots of shooting on the move which I enjoy. Only thing-- moving toward a target while engaging seems a little strange from a realistic standpoint.

Met a lot of really friendly people. The COFs were interesting, and generally well thought out. Nice too, that you don't need a lot of specilized equipment-- a gun, mags, and ammo, and you're good to go.

All in all, a very fine experience. I see why people get "hooked" on this.

3] Lots of shooting on the move which I enjoy. Only thing-- moving toward a target while engaging seems a little strange from a realistic standpoint.

Welcome to the addiction!

I shoot with a guy who lets out a war cry everytime we have a scenario that requires a charge. Most entertaining :roflol:

Welcome to IDPA, your new addiction :)

Most of the stages I've shot don't require shooting while advancing, most often it's while you're backing up, or moving laterally. I think backing up is harder than advancing, but it's all fun. I take it you're doing some dry firing now? There's a range diary forum if you want to keep track: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showforum=155

Way to go, Pittbug! Maybe we should start a club... :roflol:

I ended up second over all in each match I shot. Both times I got beat by a 1911 in 9mm. The 1911 in 9mm does offer some very real advantages-- most notably the extra two rounds. (Recoil isn't that big of an issue.) Definately have to take care with the rounds available when shooting CDP. Need better stage planning and better shooting.

I shoot with a guy who lets out a war cry everytime we have a scenario that requires a charge. Most entertaining

Hey Greg... that must a TN "thing" :roflol:

Ray... if you really get serious about IDPA... then you need to take on the CDP shooters with a revolver. I did that for 3 years and at the end of that time frame I was beating 90% of the CDP shooters in every match I shot with my 45 ACP wheelgun

Good for you setting some tough goals for yourself. :cheers:

Hey MichiganShootist, I like that! :cheers:

Personally, I have always liked revolvers better then autos. But when I decided to try IDPA, I didn't have the necessary equipment to shoot a revolver, so I went with what I had. After years of trying, the infamous 1911 still feels slightly wrong in my hand-- kind of like a lead 2X4. But, as they say, you can get used to anything.

I do like the sport coat thing. May try it when the weather cools. Adds a touch of class, don't you know?

• 3 weeks later...