Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger Problems

TRG65

I was shooting a few days ago, and over the course of the session my trigger pull weight increased. It went from manageable to horrid and sometimes it would seem like I had to squeeze release and then squeeze again to get it to fire. I haven't had a chance to take it apart yet, but I want to get an idea of some things to look for as possible breakages.

The gentleman I was shooting with told me I needed to deactivate the grip safety.

The only other possible problem I was going to check was the overtravel screw.

What else should I look at? Glocks I can deal with, but I haven't been shooting the 1911 long to be confident dealing with this.

It is a 1911 Springfield 9mm, that had a 4lb trigger at the start of the night, and by the end to quote my shooting partner, "That'll leave a dent in your finger."

Thanks in advance.

Seth

Sounds like the grip safety. There is no reason to have one that is activated. If you don't want to deactivate it, at least tape it down.

If you shoot IDPA the grip safety must be operable, if he carries this weapon it is a good idea to have it in working order.

There is more to shooting than IPSC.

If he carries this weapon it is a good idea to have it in working order.

Why exactly? The 1911 has 3 safeties, if you disable the grip safety you still have two left. Since this forum is primarily for IPSC type shooting questions isn't reasonable to assume he is talking about IPSC shooting?

HTR

I had a similar problem and while I can't tell you exactly what was wrong with the fire control system, I can say that it wasn't the grip safety. The trigger increasingly became heavier as I shot until I got the gun to a fine pistolsmith who set it straight. I haven't looked back.

Bottom line, unless you know how to set up a 1911 trigger properly, I'd reccommend professional help. B)

The trigger was heavier than I wanted to start with at 4lbs. So I had ordered a mainspring kit and a new pre-done sear from Brownells, before this all happened. I was hoping some part replacement would lower the pull wieght. Now I'm not hoping for 2lbs, I just want my 4lb back. If that doesn't get me where I want, I will have to look up a gunsmith.

L2S, my sport is IDPA, and I think cardboard killer is correct, the grip safety "must" remain functional. Someone told me the same rule applies to USPSA, just that it is politely overlooked. My experience in IDPA is the same. There are people who keep the GS active and there are those that disable it for grip reasons.