Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What primer do you like

Wanted

For an AR style rifle? Have a favorite? All I have been using is Wolf.

I prefer Winchester Small Rifle, but an now using whatever I can find.

+1...

Whatever I can find. I have some Magtech SRPs and some CCI SRP and those have worked for me. I do think Winchester are the best though.

I have used WSP's almost exclusively with good results.

There are many in the Highpower community that swore off them after they changed their finish from plated to brass.

They supposedly are softer and are more prone to piercing although I have never encountered this problem.

Remington 7-1/2's and CCI BR4 primers both have a good reputation for consistency, accuracy and toughness.

Of course, none of that matters if you can't buy anything. My dealer got 25k Federal SR primers in that vanished in about 30 minutes.

There are many in the Highpower community that swore off them after they changed their finish from plated to brass.

They supposedly are softer and are more prone to piercing although I have never encountered this problem.

Remington 7-1/2's and CCI BR4 primers both have a good reputation for consistency, accuracy and toughness.

Of course, none of that matters if you can't buy anything. My dealer got 25k Federal SR primers in that vanished in about 30 minutes.

Hey Chris...

What is your opinion of CCI SRP? I heard they pierce easy. I have only used them once and the blew completely out of my Federal cases. I used Winchester brass.

I had used Winchesters almost exclusively because they were very reasonably priced and available.

I tried some Wolf SR & SP based on them being a little cheaper in price and see no reason not to use them. The standard SR primers function just fine in 223 rounds for me.

Hey Chris...

What is your opinion of CCI SRP? I heard they pierce easy. I have only used them once and the blew completely out of my Federal cases. I used Winchester brass.

I have never used CCI primers, but their benchrest primers have a good reputation. I do not know of anyone using the standard SR primers in competition.

I was a WSR user until (1) The team coach pretty much insisted I stop and; (2) The guy that was prepping my brass could only get the 7-1/2's

I couldn't tell the difference between the two.

As to the piercing issue, I shot some pretty hot 90 grain loads with WSR's for a while that would ruin the brass after one firing - still never pierced a primer.

YMMV

I have never used CCI primers, but their benchrest primers have a good reputation. I do not know of anyone using the standard SR primers in competition.

I was a WSR user until (1) The team coach pretty much insisted I stop and; (2) The guy that was prepping my brass could only get the 7-1/2's

I couldn't tell the difference between the two.

As to the piercing issue, I shot some pretty hot 90 grain loads with WSR's for a while that would ruin the brass after one firing - still never pierced a primer.

YMMV

Thanks Chris.

CCI 400's have thinner cups but the 450's and the 41's are tough.