Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 case feeder ?

OK im not sure if Im doing something wrong or the machine is messed up or what.... Heres the problem.

I just got my 650, got everything set up to load 45 acp and started.... everything is great except the casefeeder will only take 100 - 125 pieces of brass before it bogs down and stops or slips the clutch OR kickes the plate off the drive "T"

Is this correct? I can only put 100+- rounds of brass in there at a time???

I have a friend that had three 650s and he said he thought he used to run 250+ rounds without a problem... but that was a while back so......

I noticed on Dillons site where the 1050 takes 250 - 300 pcs somewhere I thought I saw where they were the same feeder?

SO is something wrong with the feeder or is that the norm?

TIA

LP

You might need to tighten up the clutch plate a little bit. Not too much though. There is an adjustment proceedure in the 650 manual on page 7.

Well its not really even letting the clutch work most of the time, its popping the plate off the drive "t"

Im kinda lost on this one. Looks to me like the drive "T" it too short to engage properly.

I called Dillon and the Tech told me "No the Case feeder will only take 100 rounds of 45........

I kinda think thats silly so I thought I would post here and see.

Oh but I did both tighten and loosen the clutch.

Larry

You might need to tighten up the clutch plate a little bit. Not too much though. There is an adjustment proceedure in the 650 manual on page 7.

Well its not really even letting the clutch work most of the time, its popping the plate off the drive "t"

Im kinda lost on this one. Looks to me like the drive "T" it too short to engage properly.

I called Dillon and the Tech told me "No the Case feeder will only take 100 rounds of 45........

I kinda think thats silly so I thought I would post here and see.

Oh but I did both tighten and loosen the clutch.

Larry

Do you think he would have lied to you?

That shouldn't happen even with the washer for 38/357 under the plate. Make sure that there isn't any cases (or other stuff) under the plate and start over.

It sounds like the lower clutch plate may not be quite centered, so as to prevent the motor shaft from protruding far enough through the plate assembly.

Without any brass in the bowl, loosen the two clutch screws, wiggle it a bit, and see if the plate sits closer to the top of the bowl. The gray case feed plate should almost drag on the bottom of the bowl. Then snug the two clutch screws.

It sounds like the lower clutch plate may not be quite centered, so as to prevent the motor shaft from protruding far enough through the plate assembly.

Without any brass in the bowl, loosen the two clutch screws, wiggle it a bit, and see if the plate sits closer to the top of the bowl. The gray case feed plate should almost drag on the bottom of the bowl. Then snug the two clutch screws.

THanks Ill check that when I get home.

I did check the protrusion of the drive "T" that sticks up. Its right at 3/16" which seems like it would be on the "just barely enough" engagement. The cross part of the Drive "T" (whatever its called) is just barely engaging the plate.

YEa I did check there is nothing under the plate and it is pretty close to dragging the bowl but I didnt measure clearance.

Thanks for the help. And just out of curiosity how many should I be able to put in there without problems?

LP

I use a 1 lb coffee can as a scoop. :unsure:

OK Dillon thanks for the help.

I was using a formula can thats smaller than a 13oz coffee can .....

OK I tried loosining the clutch and turning the whole assembly.... then retightening it. Same problem.

It looked and still looks well seated against the plate on both sides. The plate sits off the bowl about hte width of a rim on a 45, I can measure it with calipers if you need me too.

The thing that sticks out to me is the engagement on the Drive to the clutch. Im going to say the engagement into the clutch is about the width of the roll pin that makes the "T". That seems like very little engagement. I also checked the screws attaching the motor to the bowl, they are tight.

So what now?

Larry

OK I took some measurements. From what I can tell I have about .148 engagement on the "Drive T" into the clutch.

I measure the roll pin at .130 so that leaves about .018

SO Im thinking the plate is just barely engaged on the drive because there is a radius on the clutch engagement surface....

Measuring from the top of the plate to the bowl is about .214 - .220

Larry