Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer Feed On Dillon

gumshoe

I am having primer feed problems with my Dillon 1050. The machine does not seem to complete the primer seating process and crushes the primer in place. It subsequently crushes the rim of the case causing the case to sit at an angle in the shell plate and causes the case to be crushed at the powder station. I have talked with Dillon and read the manual but I still am having the problem. Has anyone had a similar problem and what is the fix?

1-How often does this happen?

2-Is the Primer Station Retain Tab (#12930) properly adjusted.

3-Are you using military brass?

4-Are you using Federal primers? If so, then #2 and #3 above are VERY important.

5-Are you sure you are using the small primer slide (#20317) rather than the large primer slide?

6-Are you using the correct shellplate for the brass?

1-It happens about 8 out of a 100

2-the tab is per the manual

3-no military brass

4-I am using federal and cci

5-I am using the proper primer slide

6-I am using the #5 shell plate with #3 tabs

Any suggestions would welcome. Heck I would pee on a spark plug if It would help

Can you see if there is a spent primer underneath the crushed new one? I had a problem where my decapper wasn't ejecting spent primers all the time.. then the swager would come along and swage the dead primer into a sorta-pocketed mess (you can feel this as extra effort right at the end of the stroke), then the priming station would try and cram a new primer into that mess with results that sound a lot like yours-- most of the time the new one didn't go in square and there was a crescent 'tab' of primer metal sticking out. I'm amazed none of them popped in the process.

You can also check for this by checking each round coming out of the size/decap station for non-removed primers. It shouldn't take long if you're bending 8/100.

If it's doing what I'm thinking, i.e. seating the primer too far, remember that the seating depth is adjustable on the 1050. It's the little doo-hickey under Station # 2.

After that, the only other problem that I've ever had on my 1050 (and actually the only problem that I've ever had with it) is the primer index slide behind the press sometimes gets disconnected from the little arm that pulls and pushes it (from the turret...I think...y'all know what I mean). Check that, and lube the slide and you should be alright.

Rich

I have had the same thing as shred. CCI primers are the ones that hang on the decapping pin. There was a thread on shaping the end of the pin to reduce the problem.

Some Fed NT brass has a crimp like military brass.

When loading, as the handle comes down, I'm watching the spent primer bin. If no primer drops , stop and check it out. When the handle goes up, I'm looking in the case coming to the seating station. Check for powder, and place the bullet.