Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sir Walter June Match

Ed Deegan

Shot the match with Seth, and this is the only stage we got of me shooting.

It is a 26 round course small spaced field course. Turned my feet towards my first array, but you had to face down range. My own thoughts are: 1) Think I am wasting time not shooting going into the first position and standing up to much. 2) Second position little trigger freeze, and probably should have done a bit better with an easy exit. 3) Wasted a couple of steps shooting the third array, which really screwed up my approach on the last array causing me to be afraid of breaking the 180 on the last group of 3 targets which kept me from pushing the accelerator down hard.

Shot single stack so thats why you keep hearing reloads.

www.offroadmarketing.com/ed.wmv

I do wear big boy pants, well, shorts, so give it straight.

I gotta admit that there's something about Single Stack that I love!!!

Anyway, that run looks pretty nice. I guess what stands out to me is the fact that the cadence of your firing sounds choppy. I'm guessing that's because you're not firing until you've got a good focus on your sights. Good! Now work on smoothing it out. ;)

At the end you shot while on the run. How was the accuracy? Would you have been better off running straight to the corner, taking the three from stationary (and ensuring all A's due to the more stable position) before leaning around for the last shot? (Of course, you mentioned worrying about breaking 180, which I won't argue against. Maybe you should have shot the first on the move and then taken the last two stationary? Hard to say without being there.)

Regarding your comment #1, I'm no GM by any measure, but that's how I would have done it-- you found the perfect spot to take all three targets at once. If you nailed A's, then I wouldn't doubt that choice.

I'm curious how you finished compared to the other Single Stack shooters? All things considered, it looked like a winning run to me. I'm curious to hear how others will rate it.

Thank you for the comments.

Like most folks, at every match, I try to pick something to work on. Of late, it feels like I haven't been aggressive and so at this match, the point was to attack the stages.

That mentality is probably part of the trigger freeze. I remember thinking that I should have been more aggressive across those targets and that probably lead to me pushing, which lead to tightening of the grip which lead to the...

Points were satisfactory on the stage at 122. Accuracy on the 4th array was maybe one c (I dont recall).

Again thank you for the feedback.

1 Tilley, Chris 17 GM Open 120 0 10.57 11.3529 130.0000 100.00%

2 Walker, Robert 41 M Limited 126 0 13.42 9.3890 107.5117 82.70%

3 Robson, Ian 82 M Open 123 0 13.55 9.0775 103.9448 79.96%

4 Blevins, Jeff 84 A Open 121 0 13.59 8.9036 101.9535 78.43%

5 Deegan, Ed 29 A Single Stack 122 0 14.27 8.5494 97.8976 75.31%

6 Gaskill, Kert 16 GM Limited 118 0 14.30 8.2517 94.4887 72.68%

Ed, you are truly my favorite people. You beat 100 shooters on that stage, many of whom had only one reload, not 3. You shot most of the points and did so less than 4 seconds slower than one of the best open shooters on the planet. This wasn't a total hoser stage and still you manage a time with a .45 that was world class.

I would suggest that you hang this one on your mental wall as a job well done! If you want something to work on, get a shamwow for the pool of Ed that you sweat out!

Shot the match with Seth, and this is the only stage we got of me shooting.

It is a 26 round course small spaced field course. Turned my feet towards my first array, but you had to face down range. My own thoughts are: 1) Think I am wasting time not shooting going into the first position and standing up to much. 2) Second position little trigger freeze, and probably should have done a bit better with an easy exit. 3) Wasted a couple of steps shooting the third array, which really screwed up my approach on the last array causing me to be afraid of breaking the 180 on the last group of 3 targets which kept me from pushing the accelerator down hard.

Shot single stack so thats why you keep hearing reloads.

www.offroadmarketing.com/ed.wmv

I do wear big boy pants, well, shorts, so give it straight.

Ed that was a well shot stage but what most stands out for me is just how sexy you are in those shorts. :wub:

Angel :devil:

1 Tilley, Chris 17 GM Open 120 0 10.57 11.3529 130.0000 100.00%

2 Walker, Robert 41 M Limited 126 0 13.42 9.3890 107.5117 82.70%

3 Robson, Ian 82 M Open 123 0 13.55 9.0775 103.9448 79.96%

4 Blevins, Jeff 84 A Open 121 0 13.59 8.9036 101.9535 78.43%

5 Deegan, Ed 29 A Single Stack 122 0 14.27 8.5494 97.8976 75.31%

6 Gaskill, Kert 16 GM Limited 118 0 14.30 8.2517 94.4887 72.68%

Ed, you are truly my favorite people. You beat 100 shooters on that stage, many of whom had only one reload, not 3. You shot most of the points and did so less than 4 seconds slower than one of the best open shooters on the planet. This wasn't a total hoser stage and still you manage a time with a .45 that was world class.

I would suggest that you hang this one on your mental wall as a job well done! If you want something to work on, get a shamwow for the pool of Ed that you sweat out!

Jeez-- you beat a GM Limited shooter with your Single Stack, and I'm giving you tips on how to improve the run??? :unsure: Here's some advice: next time sprain your ankle going into the first array so the rest of us mere mortals will stand a chance! :roflol:

First let me say thanks to all who have posted. Angel, Tracy will probably yell at you for looking at my legs.

My goal in asking for feedback was about seeking improvement in this sport we love. The scores shown while giving a nice pat on the back, are not the important part. Dont get me wrong, I am happy with the way that stage turned out score wise, but seeking self improvement is why I asked for feedback.

Honest self assessment is a great thing. I posted this to seek the input of some of the best people and shooters in the world, who happen to be members of this forum.

I bet TGO, our host, Grauffel and Michel do the same thing and ask themselves... How can I improve?

The scores will be what the scores are, but honest self assessment in my opinion is the only way you will get better. I ask for feedback because I am too close to the guy in the video, and so another set of eyes can always help.

Thank again.

P.S. WTF is a shamwow?

And if your buddies didn't give you crap you might start to believe your greatness...

Wait. Forgot I was talking to ed... if we didn't tell you how great you were, you might start to think you sucked!

Edited by Seth

Hey you VA guys, come down to Eastern NC and join us for some USPSA at Pitt County Wildlife Club in Falkland NC.. . . Ed we could start working on a large scale Single Stack Smackdown! :rolleyes:

Would have shot it . . . but on a plane tomorrow to Lake Tahoe for a little vac time. . .

I appreciate the invite though- We'll have to catch up next month at SWGC perhaps. . .

Shoot strong!

It looks like a pretty solid run. I can only see a few things that you could have done differently…..

(1) At the start why not start with your feet apart more and your toes pointed left so all you have to do is push off with your right leg to spring into motion?

(2) You paused a little when you started moving to draw the gun. Get moving and draw the gun after the initial burst of movement.

(3) On the first string of targets, I would have engaged the far left first then swing right to engage the rest of the targets. This would have allowed you to plant solidly for the harder further away shots then ramp up your shooting speed as you swung to the right. You could have also started your movement towards the next shooting position as you were finishing up with the right hand target.

(4) In the second shooting position you could have stayed low and shot them on the move. As you did it, you came in and planted solidly which cost you some time in reacquiring the sights after the bounce.

The rest looks good. Shooting and reloading on the move the whole way.