Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Whats My Deal? .45 Novaks always low shots

mikeone

I just started shooting .45 again from a 9mm 1911 with Bomar type sights.

The Pistol is equipped with Stock fixed Novak type sights. This is the second .45 I've

Owned in same cal and sight setup, My problem is that Im hitting 6in low at 15ft

Every time I shoot a gun with Novaks I shoot like this.

I can shoot other types of sights fine , This is odd.

Whats my major malfunction?

Thanks MIke

Have someone else shoot it. Also are you lining up the top of the rear sight with the top of the front? Are you sure your not flinching? Thats a common problem when shooting a harder recoiling pistol. Who put the sights on the gun?

A little more info is really needed for us to help out.

Just because a fixed sight has a certain name on the side doesn't mean they are regulated well for YOU and YOUR load. I'd bet if you tried some factory hardball or 230 JHP defensive type ammo they will be a lot closer. 6" at 15 feet is a MONSTER deviation though, there is likely a technique issue of some kind that is causing most of the problem and the adjustable sights you had been using compensated for it.

Just because a fixed sight has a certain name on the side doesn't mean they are regulated well for YOU and YOUR load. I'd bet if you tried some factory hardball or 230 JHP defensive type ammo they will be a lot closer. 6" at 15 feet is a MONSTER deviation though, there is likely a technique issue of some kind that is causing most of the problem and the adjustable sights you had been using compensated for it.

You know thats what I was thinking about the adjustable sights.

The front is .170 tall and the rear is .230

I must be flinching and anticipating

The load is 4.5 of n-310 200 gr swc

my technique must be suffering

Edited by mikeone

Have someone else shoot the gun. If the sights are lined up correctly and they are still dropping shots low (given there is no flinch or they are not doing anything to effect where the shots hit) there might be two other options that I haven't seen mentioned. The front sight is too tall or the rear sight is too low for the given load you are shooting. Just a thought.

Joe W.