Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which chrono?

LoneWolf

Now I know Goodyear tires will keep my car on the road :P ! No really it wasn't a priority of mine to get the company instantly on the phone - I waited a week. I did want to find out about retailers and if the infrared worked indoors - both of which I found out here - thanks ! :D

I have ordered nearly all my supplies thru Brian with 0 problems (RL550B,tumbler,sifter,etc.). He has been very helpfull and courteous. As a matter of fact I'm expecting my .45 changeover kit w/dies anyday now. My problem is I shoot indoors at a range w/ flourescent lighting. If I can use the infrared screens it seems a better solution and I don't know that the PactIV has an indoor lighting kit .

Just got my stuff back; within one week. Replaced another sensor (this was the other original sensor; now I have two replacements); yet to determine mode of failure of the bad sensor; no mention of the cable issues that were discussed on the phone. Nice letter sent along with it. I imagine this sensor is being replaced out of warranty again, no charge, no questions asked.

I figured I would try CED again. I goit thru about an hour ago. I spoke with a friendly lady who answered alot of questions. She specifically said that flourescents would interfere with the infrared but if I were to place a piece of cardboard or something similar over the screens it would work. I hope this helps others !

I'd say she is either trying to be helpfully overly conservative, or is just plain wrong. I don't think there's anything in the owner's manual, either, about interference from fluourescent lights.

Hear Duane and I now, believe us next week, read our lips - the IR screens work just peachy indoors, on a 25 foot range with no windows, illuminated with nothing but a few hundred fluorescent bulbs. They have also helped me outdoors when I would miss a couple of shots with the ambient light.

• 2 weeks later...

Wolf:

I too am on the side of the CED. It seems to be accurate, it is easy to use the controls, and as per the discussions above, with the infrared kit - it works in ANY light condidtion that I have tested it in. Won 5 bucks from an old timer who said it would never work. Actually he was suckering me - he won back his 5 and an additional 10 on another bet, but that's another story.

Anyway, the CED has been the savior of a couple of IDPA matches because it worked when others wouldn't. It does just fine in an indoor range.

I did have some problems in the beginning with the power cables for the IR screens. They made the cables from this very light coax stuff (kinda like the speaker wire that goes to your computer speakers) and I had a couple of times where the cable would short and spark/smoke. That's really cool at the range.

I remade the cables with the right wire (Thank you Radio Shack) and it works fine. I think someone was saving a penny or 2.

Oh, another thing I use it for is placing it down range and determining down range velocity. This lets me get pretty good numbers for BC when I plug the data into my software (RSI Shooting lab). The numbers are big enough to be read at 150 yards through a scope. You don't have to, the string is recorded, but I'm always curious...