Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Shooter Needs Help

RC1

I am a new shooter who is finding shooting steel a lot of fun.

I belong to the over fifty gang. So I have the typical eye problems and also have issues with my back.

Speed steel is a good fit for my back but still have problems seeing iron sights, so I decided to go to an open gun for steel.

Now to the problem, I took (to a reputable gunsmith) a SA 1911 single stack in 9mm that I owned. I had the trigger done, the slide lightened, a dotcter sight and compensator installed.

When the gun was finished of coarse I promptly took it to the range and tried shooting it. Now I can hardly get through a mag without at least one jam, and as many as three or four jams per mag.

Usually the empty cases get only about half way out of the chamber, and then the new round is jammed in behind it. However at other times, the empty cases are so tightly jammed, they totally lock up the gun and I can hardly pull the slide back.

Prior to having the work done, the gun was developing an extraction problem, but it would never jam the slide closed. I did tell my gunsmith to replace the extractor but he said that there was nothing wrong with the one in the gun. I have had the gunsmith try to fix the problem but no success yet.

Any ideas?

RC1,

I had a similar problem. I put in a much lighter recoil spring and tightened the extractor and it's fixed. Pull you slide off the frame remove the barrel and let the extractor grab a full weight bullet you place there by hand and see if it stays in place with a little shake. The extractor should have about 4 pounds of pressure on the case. If it is too loose and the bullet drops out the extraxctor needs to be bent in some for more holding pressure on the case. I had to drop my recoil spring weight 3 lbs. I works without failure now. Old John

Usually the empty cases get only about half way out of the chamber, and then the new round is jammed in behind it. However at other times, the empty cases are so tightly jammed, they totally lock up the gun and I can hardly pull the slide back.

Prior to having the work done, the gun was developing an extraction problem, but it would never jam the slide closed.

I would:

1) Take the extractor out and see if the tip (hook) is still nice and square or if it's getting rounded off. If the latter, chuck it.

2) Check the throat diameter and give it a light polish if necessary.

Allow me a stupid question:

Are you shooting lacquer coated ammo? If so, give yourself a spanking and dump it. Also, steel case (even uncoated) ammo can also cause this kind of tight extraction problem.

Thanks to all of you for your tips. Not using lacquer coated ammo or steel cases. but I did pull the extractor and to my untrained eye it looks highly suspect. I'll have another one installed and give that a try.

Thanks again.

I think you've answered your own question. If the case is only half way out of the chamber and the new round is coming in behind it. Then during the firing sequence the extractor has jumped off the rim before the case has cleared the chamber, the slide cycled back and picked up a new round and tried to cram it into the chamber. That leaves you with a couple choices, all of which have been covered.

1. The extractor tension is set too loose

2. The extractor hook is damaged/missing

If I read this post correctly this was a 9mm stock pistol with a exactor that was supect to start with and was built into a open pistol? If the extractor was marginal to start with then a cmore was tossed into the mix along with the weaker stroke of the comped barrel I bet a new extractor AND a long ejector will make this puppy growl( I would put a aftec and one of EWGs long 9mm ejectors in it) Larry

Thanks for the help. Checked the extractor tension, plenty tight can't shake the round loose, no C-more sight (docter sight). I did pull out the extractor and the hook did not look nice and square, so I ordered a "Nowlin Tuff Stuff". Should I cancel it and get the Aftec?

My real concern is that at times the gun totally locks closed with the empty case still in the chamber. A couple of times I could hardly get the gun open. Is this still an extractor problem or something more serious that I should be worried about.

Thanks for any help.

Your choice on the extractor, but I would make sure the pistol has a long ejector. That gun may also have a shock buff or guide rod problem that is draging and causing it to lock up. Did you have a ramped barrel installed? If so grind the guide rod head slighty and trim the buff to match Larry

lkytx

Thanks for the tips. No on the ramped barrel, probably should have.

Running a new "Brazo" tunsten gide rod and 7# "Wolff"return spring.

Gun locks tight with or with out shock buff. I will order the long ejector tomorrow.

Rick

I appreciate all the help.

I think (hope) I got the problem whipped. I installed a new extractor, cleaned the gun real good, polished every part that I could, and wa-la, it shoots great!

Thanks

Rick