Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ion Bond mags

John2A

Has any one out there had a mag ion bonded? I was thinking of sending a couple to see how they would hold up.

Any one have any expierence with them?

Thanks,

John

Steve Southerland from Progressive machine had a couple done and I think they held up fine, last time I saw them at least.

What's the benefit?

I've never seen a mag done but I would assume it's for the slickness. Ionbond is supposed to be harder and slicker than Titanium Nitride which is the Gold colored coating on metal cutting tools.

The only thing that has me concerned is that the finish holds oils and was wondering how it did attracting dirt and dust.

I might just try a couple and see. What is another 15 on top of the $ to have them tuned.

I'll keep you all posted as to benefit and if I think it is worth it.

Thanks,

John

I did this with a couple of Sig mags to try the finish out before I would settle on teh finish for a whole gun. After a couple of years of use and more so the bouncing around in my range bag, they have no scratches at all. This included not only hte wear of inserting and dropping the mags but in the winter, the range we shoot at has a concrete floor. If you want the mags to look brand new you do have to lightly oil them but other than that they are maintenance free.

I was told they may use a slightly different chemical composition for mags to give a little less strength but increased lubrication, but I never confirmed this.

Adam