Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

147gr 9 Major Loads?

JeffWard

When the 9mm Major shooters tell me they don't run 147 gr bullets because the pressures are too high, I get scared.

Friend of mine has a major 9 (Glock) and he shoots 147 grain Zero JHPs and VV 3N38 loads in it for Major. I've shot a few of these rounds through it. Very flat shooting and they seemed mild. He likes the 147 Zeros because the rebated base makes loading easier. He prefers the 147 grain bullets because the powder volume is less than that which he uses for his 125 grain major loads.

At last check he still had both eyes and all his fingers. :roflol:

When the 9mm Major shooters tell me they don't run 147 gr bullets because the pressures are too high, I get scared.

Friend of mine has a major 9 (Glock) and he shoots 147 grain Zero JHPs and VV 3N38 loads in it for Major. I've shot a few of these rounds through it. Very flat shooting and they seemed mild. He likes the 147 Zeros because the rebated base makes loading easier. He prefers the 147 grain bullets because the powder volume is less than that which he uses for his 125 grain major loads.

I shoot 147gr Zeros in Production. I have lots of 147gr, and a few hundred 124s...

Can you get some details from him? I think I'd rather shoot a 147 at 1150FPS, than a 124 at 1350! Then again, I guess it's all the same...

I shoot 147gr Zeros in Production. I have lots of 147gr, and a few hundred 124s...

Can you get some details from him? I think I'd rather shoot a 147 at 1150FPS, than a 124 at 1350! Then again, I guess it's all the same...

Jeff - I'll ask & post the info when I have it.

One of the FEW 9Major loads you will find in a PUBLISHED manual is for 147s.

Look at the V V load for 3N38. Recoil is likely to be stiff.

Anyone ever see a PUBLISHED load for 9Major with 124s? (granted, I shoot 124s - but all my loads are "off the books" FWIW).

We use lighter bullets for a flatter gun. The comps work a bit better with the lighter bullets.

The heavier bullet will be a bit softer but you will have a bit more muzzle rise.

He says his data is from the VV on-line manual. It checks out. 147 grain JHP, 3N38 - 6.3 to 6.9 gr. The VV data says that yields 1202fps from a 4" barrel :surprise:

Forgot to ask my friend what his load chrono'd, but his 3N38 powder charge is 6.8 to 6.9 gr, C.O.L. = 1.142"

Let me know your results if you try this. I'd try it myself but can't find any primers (old story).

I was playing around with some 157 grain lead bullets at around1000 fps in my open gun the other day using Solo 1000. I liked it alot. Very soft shooting, there might have been more muzzle rize than the lighter bullets, but the dot was very steady and came right back for me. I might give these a try at a match and see how they do.

Sorry, ignore this post. I forgot, it was my 38 super I was testing this with.

Edited by tk2

I know a fellow that shoots heavy lead bullets- like 158/160 I believe in Open. His gun is a Para with a welded up extended dustcover with a very lightened slide. He says it cycles sharp and crisp and from the videos I have seen of him shooting his loads, the muzzle doesn't lift much. I am sure a good load can be found. Myself I have tried it, and I didn't get good results (for me). I shot a bunch of 147's with HS6 and once that ammo was gone, I didn't bother with them again. The heaviest bullet I tried that I would consider again was the 138gr cmj from Frontier. They weren't bad, and accuaracy was good and didn't flip a whole lot more than my 124gr loads at 160+ PF. On another note, I believe Grauffel still trains with a 145/147gr lead bullet. With some experimentation I believe you could find a nice shooting load.