Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CR Speed Holster Shroud

Glen

This is a derail from the holster thread wherein the locking holsters don't seem

to lock.

A CR holster has a profiled tit (teat) that goes inside the trigger guard and controls

the entry and exit of the trigger guard from the holster. An L-shaped plastic lever

rotates, to either allow or disallow the tit to flex sideways. If the tit cannot flex

sideways, then the gun cannot be drawn. However, because of the materials and

construction used, the lever can be overridden.

I made shrouds for my CR holsters so that when they are locked the tit will not flex

sideways. It is a piece of extruded square aluminum tubing with some holes cut and

drilled into it.

The main feature is a band of metal that prevents any sideways flexing from occuring

when the lever is in the locked position. The rest is just mount.

The pictures are of a righthand holster converted to lefthand operation. The lever is

now on the wrong side since I changed to left hand.

post-2809-1243601309_thumb.jpg

The large window is to allow the insertion or removal of a different tit if I change guns.

You can see the metal band that keeps the lever from flexing sideways.

post-2809-1243601358_thumb.jpg

post-2809-1243601420_thumb.jpg

This view shows the spacers used to position the shroud.

Glen

This seems like a fix for a nonexistant problem. If you used a CRspeed for a carry holster i could understand the fix, but the only time you have a loaded gun in the holster is 30 seconds before you are going to draw it and shoot a course of fire. Then you will ULASC and holster an empty gun. I have used this holster for years and have never had my gun fall out. While I applaud your ingenuity in creating a device which will secure your gun permanantly, it is kind of like putting airbags on a fighter jet.

Glen,

Like I said earlier, thanks for posting and sharing. While some haven't had any issues with the holster, many have reported losing a gun out of one.

This forum is all about sharing such ideas. Well done!

As an update to the above pictures ...

I made a new lever out of ABS plastic that makes it possible to

unlock the gun on the draw.

post-2809-1243860032_thumb.jpg

This shows the lever that replaces the original CR lever.

post-2809-1243860103_thumb.jpg

This is what it looks like installed and in the locked position.

It locks as well as the previous method. I will have to get used to

hitting the release on the draw, but that doesn't seem to be an issue

so far. It took about an hour to make and adjust (mostly adjust).

Glen

cool. My cr seemed a bit weak, the stock plastic piece that has the nib on it, and the "lock" didnt push hard enough, and teh gun could come out without much effort. I just drilled and tapped the back side of the stock lock, and put a button head screw in it, to push that much harder on the stock "nib" piece.

worked very well. maybe not quite as secure as your lock, but good enough for the girls my wife lets me date....... :roflol:

I found that my CR Speed wasn't holding my STI as tightly as it held my single stack, even with spacers removed/installed/changed. I studied it, hard, took the gun in and out while watching what happened, did it with the ss and realized that the wide body of the STI was preventing the gun from seating as deeply into the holster. Took the holster body to the sanding wheel and removed some plastic from the end and voila, latch went in all the way. With the lever flicked over I think you could lift me off the ground using the gun butt and it wouldn't come out. Backed off the lock lever screw a bit and can draw pretty fast from a locked holster. I flick the lock off with my trigger finger as I grab the gun. Gun will fall out if I roll WITHOUT the lock lever on.

cool. My cr seemed a bit weak, the stock plastic piece that has the nib on it, and the "lock" didnt push hard enough, and teh gun could come out without much effort. I just drilled and tapped the back side of the stock lock, and put a button head screw in it, to push that much harder on the stock "nib" piece.

worked very well. maybe not quite as secure as your lock, but good enough for the girls my wife lets me date....... :roflol:

A well placed and sized glob of epoxy will do the same job.