Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RL1000 vs RL1050 Dillon Help The New Guy

Hello everyone I'm new here. I'm looking at buying 2 RL1000s or the next model RL1050s not the Super. I see from a search of this site that "Tightloop" seems to be the only person that has used one. Has anyone of you tried both the RL1000 and the RL1050? Please tell me what you think of each and what is the difference between the 2. Also what is a fair price on each used? Thanks, GunWhoreDer

The Rl1000 was the very first Dillon reloading machine made. It was in production from about 1978 until about 1990 or thereabouts, when the RL1050 replaced it. The RL1000 was made of stainless steel for the most part, had a stroke length long enough to load 30-06 cartridges. The Rl1000 can no longer be rebuilt, insofar as welding up and remachining the main frame. No toolheads are available. Most other parts, including priming system parts, powder measure parts, shellplates for calibers available during the period of production of the 1000 are available. The RL 1000 originally sold for about $2475, with the case feeder.

The RL1050 was developed as a lower cost replacement for the RL1000. It has a cast iron frame, shorter stroke just for up to 223 length cartridges, and a completely redesigned linkage from the 1000. The 1050 recently evolved into the Super 1050, with a redesigned linkage and indexer allowing use of up to 30-06 length cartridges again. The RL1050 accepts all Super 1050 toolheads, conversion kits, etc; the actual frame machining and shaft and linkage being the primary difference between the 1050 and Super 1050. In August, 2003, the index lever was changed to allow for slower and longer shellplate indexing. This smoothes out the indexing, especially when loading short handgun cases. I hope this answers some of your questions.

• 1 year later...
Is this slower/longer shell plate indexing available as a retrofit to a 1050?  (Regular, not super).

No. It is not possible to modify an RL1050 into the Super 1050. You can purchase a Super 1050 lower frame assembly, then cannibalize your 1050 for all the other compatible parts. Cost to do this is about $1000.00 :ph34r:

• 6 years later...