Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550 Primer Feed Problem

I have a Dillon 550 in which the primer cup fails to pick up a primer when it goes under the primer mag. This happens about 3 or 4 times out of 10. I've tried to no end to adjust it, but still the same problem. I've adjusted the primer bar to make sure it goes directly under the primer mag, still happens. So I'm kinda at my wits end. Any suggestions from someone with some 550 experience? Thanks

Try adding a small weight to the top of the primer plunger stick (or whatever you call it). This and careful alignment of the primer cup and feed tube using the primer bar stop screw made mine work 100%. And yeah, make sure everything is clean, clean, clean.

Regards,

A 45 ACP case is just about enough weight on the primer follower to aid in feeding and fits exactly.

Take the primer magazine out and drop a single primer into it with the plastic tip on your bench. The primer should drop thru freely. If not replace the tip.

Check the height of the primer bar to over the anvil and it should be 1.215.

Clean the primer bar and bearing with alchohol and keep it clean.

Doggor

Rufus, a clean 550 is always a happy one! but I had sort of the same problem. I called dillion many times they tried very hard but no help. I geuss I got lucky, I found on the bottom of the primer mag the two small bolt holes were bulged not letting the primer bar travel totaly to the rear to pick-up the next primer. A small file fixed it , 2 or 3 years now anyway. Good luck spl k ;)

I just had this problem too (yesterday in fact). In my case it was the surfaces that the primer rail slides on. They get pretty gunked up from the spent primers dropping residue on the surfaces. Make sure it's clean. I added a little powdered graphite to the top and bottom (rail only, not near the primers), and it went completely away

Guest Larry Cazes

I used to have this problem but I started to regularly clean the primer bar and magazine area with isopropol alchohol and lube with powdered graphite only and the press is now much happier!

Thanks guys. I put a little powdered graphite on the slide and it works like a champ now. A friend also suggested to buy a can of compressed air (the small bottles you can buy to clean a keyboard) and blow out that recess around the primer pickup area. Good suggestion. Thanks again.

Air definitly will help.

I use my air compressor to blow everything out once in a while. Take off the die head, there's always lots of powder debris and primer crap in there.

Like someone said earlier, the 550's like it clean

Well I had a 650 a year or so ago and it was the biggest piece of shiznet I ever owned, so I sold it and just now got a 550, you wanna talk about a BIG difference. This 550 runs as smooth as a baby's butt. UNLIKE the 650, there are no plastic on plastic moving parts, only a couple of springs, thats all.