Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Input wanted - S&W M&P R8

SPR1

Annyone have any input on the subject gun? It would be primarily for fun shooting, not competition. I seem to see a love them or hate them/had problems sort of split in opinion when I have poked around before. Thanks

Most everyone is using a stainless gun, sometimes with a ti cylinder. The R8 is aluminum with a stainless cylinder. That and the old farts that shoot revolvers don't want a bayonet lug.

If you like it, buy it. Should make a decent nightstand gun with a light.

I've played with a customers gun and didn't really understand it's intended purpose (other than to make S&W money obviously), it's neither fish nor fowl.

A 586/686 would be move enjoyable to shoot and to pay for.

SPR1, I don't have one but I got to shoot one once. I like the barrel and shroud on the one I got to shoot. Pretty accurate 8 x's off hand at 25 yards on one target no time limit, had a dot though. He has changed for the light cylinder to a steel cylinder though. A decent revo in my opinion. Later rdd

I looked at the x27 options. I have one with a Lew Horton issue 6" (heavy) removeable weights barrel and a Ti cylinder for pins, and was looking at the various x27's. I bought a 4" 627 Pro and fitted it with a Ti cylinder and (forgive me Mike C) Taylor Throated it and put a C-More on it. I like it better than any of the scandium x27's I've shot. It's light and quick and great for steel.

Edited by Tom E

I like it better than any of the scandium x27's I've shot. It's light and quick and great for steel.

Why do you like it better than the scandium x27's? I would think that the lighter scandium would be better for steel (faster transitions?), since recoil would not be that big a factor with sub-minor loads?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Purely subjective. It just feels right. For me, the 4" Pro with Ti cylinder and C-More makes for a nice combination. Light enough to transition/swing fast, heavy enough to be stable during the trigger pull. Stainless frame and Ti cylinder makes more sense to me than a scandium frame with a stainless cylinder.

Edited by Tom E

With a T-1 Micro Aimpoint mounted on mine I can put Berry's 158 gr plated RN 38 Specials @ 840 fps shot from a rest inside a 6 " circle at 100 yd all day long.

Craig