Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Weak Hand Reloading Sg With Open Bolt

GordonB

I have a technique down for strong-hand reloading burned in. I'm fiddling around with weak-hand reloading and getting the technique down a little before I burn it in.

I know enough that the ideal situation is to not let the gun go dry. But say you mess up and shot the SG dry by mistake. :D

If all I need to do is reload one, I just take it a round off the side saddle (with the primer positioned on top) and hit the release.

But say you need to top off the chamber and reload the tube. What's the procedure for weak-hand loading?

The procedures that I came up with is:

1. Use the side-saddle and then go to the primary shell holder (choate/shell belt/etc.)

2. Grab the normal 3-4 rounds from the primary and charge the chamber and the tube. (I would think this would be very fumble prone.)

3. Grab one round from the primary and charge the chamber and then charge the tube as normal.

What's the best way of doing this?

Hey, that sounds like me..."oh $...t" :o . When that happens, which is more than I care to admit, I'd go for 4 off the carrier, flip the gun to its side, drop one in and nail that speed bar (bolt release) with the base of my palm, re-shoulder and reload as normal. Not as cool as Kurt when he just grabs 5, port load one, somehow push the speed bar with one the many flexible fingers that he was given at birth, and load the rest like nothing happens.