Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

inaccurate Clays

jeff89

Any make/model of plated, even going below 900fps, I would FREQUENTLY check accuracy by shooting groups on a white paper plate. You might be shocked. Ditto for Clays powder.

dvc - eric - a28026

Has anyone else noticed accuracy problems with Clays? I was thinking about working up a load with Clays because of the cheaper price and people saying it recoils less. Of course if its not too accurate then it really doesn't matter....

Thanks!

Jeff

IMHO, this may be like the plated bullet thing, Your results may vary from gun to gun.

Clays is very clean, and too many shooters use it to make a statement as broad as " it is an innacurate powder ". I found it not to be lacking in accuracy. But it is rather restricted in it's usage, it's not my powder of choice for pin loads.

I had very poor results with plain lead bullets and Clays, vicious leading right outside the chamber.

My advice, for what it's worth, ( no comments please ) Try it and see how it performs in your gun.

Travis F.

Guest Larry Cazes

I shoot a 230grain plated RN over 3.9 grains of clays for 168pf in both my valtro and my P14 and both are very accurate. Certainly accurate enough for the distances in this game.

IMHO plain Clays is not an ideal powder for reloading .40 either in target or major loads.

Personally, I prefer Titegroup or my recent new choice N320 for 180gr @ 965fps(avg).

I have load around 20k of 4.1gr Clays for my .45s(Valtro, Kimber & Colts). I found it to be very accurate with Montana Gold's 230gr CMJ. FWIW I don't shoot quite as well with West Coast's 230gr RN with the same powder load.

Sorry about the thread drift. Just meant, you should check and see. That's true for any load. Clays was mediocre in one of my guns, horrible in another.

Your mileage may vary. I like Titegroup and N320.

A lot of shooter's priorities go like this:

1. Soft shooting

2. Cheap powder

3. Available at gunstore down the street

4. Makes power factor without blowing up

5. Groups within 12" at 25 yds

I would shift those around quite a bit. Accuracy first, make power factor without pressure signs second, everything else very low priority.

dvc - eric - a28026

Funny you should ask. I am working up a 9mm load for my CZ. Clays in combination with lead bullets resulted in horrible accuracy. Like really bad groups at ten yards. Clays under Zero jacketed bullets resulted in improved groups, but still nothing like white box Winchesters. I am discouraged and will be trying VV N310 as soon as my supplier can pick some up.

Clays, in a 4 1/2" bbl 40 Witness, had a hellacious pressure spike. It didn't even sound right. There was so little muzzle blast, you could hear the sound of the barrel going "thonk, thonk, thonk".

Near as I could figure, this was because ALL the powder was already burned by the time the bullet left the crown. I recovered a couple bullets and they looked melted at the base of the bullet.

Several good shooters with .45's love Clays. Maybe it works there. :huh:

dvc - eric - a28026