Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack Vs. Wide Body

Bucky

As for reloading faster. The hi-caps are on average better, but don't forget that Robbie won the 1994 Limited Nationals with a single stack.

It's also worth noting Robbie won the 2002 Factory Gun Nationals in Limited-10, shooting a single-stack .45 over Jerry Barnhart in 2nd place, firing a downloaded doublestack .40.

As to which is better, singlestack or doublestack, this is very much an individual thing. Really, it comes down to the size of your hands. I have fairly small hands so my Wilson SS fits me immeasurably better than my Para P14. On the latter, I can't even mate the heels of my hands with my "normal" grip. This will give you some clue how much I shoot the Para - not much - but the Wilson gun is just about all I shoot in both USPSA and IDPA.

Could the lower percieved recoil in the STI/SV guns be due to the polymer grip? It is possible that the sharp pulse is dampened by the plastic. If you watch thoes high speed movies of guns being fired you can see just how much movement there is. The plastic may "give" more that the steel frame and thus it feels softer in your hand. my .02

I know that my reloads are faster with my single stack compared to the high cap. I don't know why. Maybe just familiarity. Back in the ol' days a single stack .45 was all I could afford, so I did practice a lot. That's probably part of it. Not practicing enough with the hi-caps probably has something do with it too.

If that's not indecisive enough, I don't know what is. Basically with the SS gun, they seem to be cleaner and a lot more consistent. I'm sure it's due to just concentrating on it more, rather than throwing it into the bottomless pit magwell.

Rich

Is it just me or don't some of you guys love that positive ejection an SS does with an empty mag?

Personally, this is one of tha areas where I feel the SS shines in reloads. One wrong angle in a wide body while ejecting the mag and I end up pushing it back in with the new mag in my other hand. Okay, granted I think I need more practice with it....or because I'm using a Para-type frame and the mags are a real bitch to insert when not angled correctly...or I'm suppose to eject wide body mags while there are still ammo in it... :wacko: