Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FMJ QC

njl

Do you carefully examine all projectiles before reloading? Would you load/shoot these? What if you'd loaded a few thousand from the same batch of bullets before you'd noticed a bunch like these?

In the last picture, the brass was used as convenient holders for the bullets so I could get a shot of their bases (I'm not trying to make 9mm wadcutters :)

Click the images to get higher resolution versions (and again to get full resolution).

DSC_0119q.jpg

DSC_0123q.jpg

DSC_0129q.jpg

I would shoot them at Minor/Production power factor & see what happens. The jacket might come apart in flight; that bullet will be spinning rather fast once it leaves the barrel. But I would not worry about sealing the gases in ; remember, black powder guns used cloth or paper as a patch (imaging how poorly THAT seals).

I would not use them at the higher pressures of Major because I would be concerned about tearing the jacket off on the ports, damaging the compensator, etc.

Can I ask who made those?

I think I'm going to wait until after I've heard back from them with their response/opinion on them before throwing them under the bus. They are from a very popular FMJ producer.

My concerns are:

1) What effect on accuracy could this have?

2) What's the odds of such a jacket separating in the barrel, leaving a partial obstruction that causes damage or horrible accuracy on the next shot?

If you have to ask can I because something doesn't look quite right, then the answer is usually no already. Make the manufacture replace them or inform them that you'll reveal who they are to a very public shooting oriented forum which I think they already know about.

I'd just hope they replaced the poor quality 3-4 you have with abut 50 good ones... That would make me happy!

All manufacturing processes have flaws... Take children for instance...

JW

I'd just hope they replaced the poor quality 3-4 you have with abut 50 good ones... That would make me happy!

All manufacturing processes have flaws... Take children for instance...

JW

Yeah, I guess, but the bullets from other manufactures I've used I've NEVER seen something like that in the thousands of rounds I've used much less several in a box.

Some of those jackets are severely cracked. I'm not sure I would even shoot them at minor pf. I doubt you would have a catastrophic issue out of a non-comp'ed gun, but I could see jacket/lead separation after leaving the barrel. It doesn't take much for this to happen. Seen this happen with chinese FMJ 7.62x39 through 1/8" window pane. The lead and jacket separated from hitting the glass. I could easily see these coming apart at minor. Your gun would be fine, but your hits would suck big time.

I don't even what to think what could happen out of a comp'ed gun...

If they are a major manufacturer like you say (they look like Precision Deltas), I would call them asap and get them replaced.