Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2009 Independence Day Rifle Match

2009 Independence Day Rifle Match

On July 4th, 2009, the fourth annual AzCDL Independence Day Action Rifle Match will be hosted by the Phoenix Rod and Gun Club Practical Division.

As a benefit match, all proceeds (minus range and target expenses) are donated to AzCDL. The match is capped at 60 shooters, so get your applications in early!

Slots are reserved in the order that registrations are received. http://www.azcdl.org/2009Application1.pdf

Click here to read, download and print the rules governing the match. http://www.azcdl.org/MatchRules20090704a.pdf

This year’s match will have 4 stages.

At least half the match will be long range (100-400 yards) oriented.

Match times are as follows:

6:30 AM - Sign in begins.

7:00 AM - Shooters’ meeting starts

7:30 AM - Range goes “hot”

1:00 PM - Participants tear down the stages and clean up the range.

Prize raffle and Awards follow the range clean up.

If you have any questions, please contact the Match Director, Russell Phagan SinistralRifleman@hotmail.com

Edited by SinistralRifleman

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Kelly, I tried e-mailing you and it bounced back. You are in.

-------------------------------

We are at 43 registered shooters. If your application is not received by Friday I cannot guarantee we will have space for you to shoot.

e-mails have been sent to everyone I have a working e-mail address for. AZCDL will send me the final list of shooters friday.

Once again, the boys at Cav Arms did a great job at putting on the Az. Ind. Day Rifle match. The match consisted of 4 great stages with a bit of ingenuity. There was a physical stage requiring the shooter to engage MGM flashers at 200 to 300 then run forward 100 yards (this in AZ July heat) and reengage the targets. There was a good ole fashioned short range hose fest. There was a mid range stage consisting of steel at 100 and paper at 50. Finally there was Stage 3, a stage unlike any I have ever shot. The targets consisted of a no shoot with a small hole (sometimes as small as a couple of inches) cut in it overlayed over the shoot target underneath, the heads were also exposed. There were about 15 or so such targets from about 10 yards to 25 yards. I'll have video of it posted later today. It is pretty rare that my penalties for a stage exceed my time! The stage was no so much about accuracy as knowing your offsets REALLY well. Me being me, I smoked the hard part of the stage (the close targets with smaller holes and more offset to deal with) and mucked up the easier part (farther bigger targets with less offset to worry about).

My only quibble about the match is I thought that the bonus targets were worth far to many seconds (upwards of 60 seconds on a mid 40 second stage) and the head bonus target really could not be engaged with iron sights. But that is a minor quibble. Great job, guys. And congrats to Mark Hanish for his overall win!

Thanks for everyone who came out and braved the heat to shoot this. I was very pleased that this match ran so smoothly thanks to the help of my ROs/Squad leaders and to all the shooters that helped keep the match moving effectively. I appreciate everyone that helped me on stage 1 so I didn't have to do the hundred yard dash 55 times. Also thanks to everyone for helping us tear down the stages and clean up so effectively.

Please take the time to thank our sponsors. And when you are thinking of buying new guns and gear please support the companies that support our rights and support our sport:

ATK-Federal Premium Ammunition

Alan Korwin (Gun Laws)

Camelbak

Cavalry Arms

Coyote Tactical

Practical Tactical

Sabre Defence

Scottsdale Gun Club

Shooter’s World

Spec Ops Brand

Specter Gear

Special Thanks to MGM Targets for donating all the paper targets we used at the match and sending us the parts we needed to refurbish our steel targets we use at the match every year.

This match probably had the most physically demanding and technically challenging stages yet. Congrats to all the division winners, I will be mailing out certificates.

Results:

2009resultsdivision.jpg

2009resultsoverall.jpg

stage 3

stage%203b.JPG

more pics HERE.

Who would put little holes in no shoots like that and then expect you to shoot through them!?!?! That is EVIL...like FUITS OF THE DEVIL!!! :devil:

Adios,

TG

I admit, I got the idea from the Ironman a few years ago. That stage at the Independence Day Action Rifle match shook up the results quite a bit.

That is pretty wicked for an entire stage to be like that. :)

If I understand correctly, the head or the 'ittle bitty hole in the body can be engaged? If that's the case, would anyone even bother shooting at the small hole in the body?

Edited by Bryan 45

That is pretty wicked for an entire stage to be like that. :)

If I understand correctly, the head or the 'ittle bitty hole in the body can be engaged? If that's the case, would anyone even bother shooting at the small hole in the body?

Both the head and the hole had to be hit with one round each. No-shoot penalty was 10 seconds per hit.

Edited by SinistralRifleman