Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

optic for MKIII Hunter?

I have a new Ruger Hunter III with the long barrel, 22 cal, looking to put a red dot on it to save money on practice ammo. I have been reading about ultradot, tasco, bsa, c more. etc. Any ideas form any shooters doing the same on the best optic for this purpose? thanks

I have a new Ruger Hunter III with the long barrel, 22 cal, looking to put a red dot on it to save money on practice ammo. I have been reading about ultradot, tasco, bsa, c more. etc. Any ideas form any shooters doing the same on the best optic for this purpose? thanks

I have the same gun, and I love the C-more I put on mine!

It really depends on the size/features you want and what price range you want to stick to. I'd avoid Tasco.

I've got an OKO on a MKII and have been very happy with it. Midway sells them for $210. I paid around $150 for mine, but that was 5 years ago.

An added bonus with the OKO is its very light, which suits use on a pistol.

Same optic you are using on the gun you are practicing to be good with.

Mine happens to have a C-More, easy to justify as I pull it off and take it as a spare to big matches.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a TASCO PDP3 mounted on my MKII for steel shoots. I normally would suggest an Aimpoint because of the durability but for this application a TASCO or ADCO tube would be just fine. Weigand makes a nice mount for that gun as well.

Be careful with Tasco. Some of their newer tube dots really don't have much brightness. If you shoot in a dimly lit indoor range, that's fine. If you shoot out in the sun, the dot might not be able to be set bright enough to be usable.

Be careful with Tasco. Some of their newer tube dots really don't have much brightness. If you shoot in a dimly lit indoor range, that's fine. If you shoot out in the sun, the dot might not be able to be set bright enough to be usable.

Are you sure these are not some other brand? I have 3 right now and have used 3-4 others and they all have just as much brightness range as my Aimpoints. None of these would ever be used at the brightest setting outside.

• 2 weeks later...

I put an UltraDot MatchDot on my MkII Target last year and love it. It isn't real small or low profile like the C-Mores or J-Points, but the size and weight doesn't seem too cumbersome for targets or plinking. I think the features are great for $200: switchable between 2,4,6 and 8 moa, 11 brightness settings, (I'm usually at 2-4), an adjustable polarizing filter for shooting in bright sunlight, lens covers, sun shade, mounting rings and a lifetime warranty. I love the 2moa setting when trying to shoot tight. The MatchDot was my first dot-type optic and accuracy has certainly shown improvement from using it. Hope this is helpful and that you find one you like!