Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Primer Shortage of 2009

ap3

I've been lucky I guess. While my old supplier of powder has been only sporadicly in stock, I've been able to find primers locally from a new supplier.

Bullets are actually easier to come by now as we have a new local manufacturer of decent double struck plated bullets. Only problem is he's of course ramped up for the standard 124 gr 9mm, and hasn't yet started producing 147's.

Where I'm short is in the powder department. I prefer VV N320, and most suppliers are either out or charging 50% more than normal for the little they have. I was able to get enough to load my match ammo for the year, but little extra.

Fortunately I was still sitting on 10+ pounds of SP-81, which was the early acceptance batch Hodgdsons got in when they started importing and repackaging ADI powders. It's equivalent to Clays Universal.

S4 Tactical in Hillsboro, OR has Magtech small and large pistol primers for $5.50 a flat if anyone's willing to pay that. I don't think they'll ship (although you might ask) as they've got ammo and primers in the store they're selling for a friend. Trying to get their friend to track down some other stuff for me - if he can get it at a sane enough price.

~Mitch

I keep watching Midway move the expected delivery dates out. :(

I've got enough to get me through summer - I hope.

I refuse to engage with the Gunbroker crowd and pay > $ 30 / K. That is only making things worse. Most vendors & mfgs have figured out that their products were priced waaay too low if we are willing to pay those prices. I saw where one dealer said his cost on primers was up $ 5 / k. Wouldn't we all like a 25% raise ?

If you are seriously in trouble and not finding the amount of primers you need, look into Cabela's online. I ordered 20,000. They said they'll be shipping mid July. If you order a smaller amount, say maybe 5 thousand, they'll be shipping mid June. Anyways, I plan on selling majority of mine to fellers in need for the price I will have paid for them. Be looking in the classified section come July for WSR primers.

Preston