Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Transitions Faster With Pairs

ErikW

Today I was doing some simple transitions with the foo-foo blaster, full targets a few feet apart at maybe 10 yards. My transitions were .05 - .10 faster when I was shooting 2 rounds each target instead of simple 1 round transitions. What's up with that?

Could it be that it is just that you do 2-2 more than 1-1 so your cadence is built around this? Do you have to think to do 2-2 but find that you continually tell yourself "one shot per" as you are shooting?

I have noticed the same thing. I was shooting a bunch of steel one day and noted that my transitions between poppers were what my transitions were for 2-2 on paper but my 1-1 on paper were slower. I finally just attributed it to the "not used to 1-1 on paper" phenomenon and promised myself to work on that someday.

We tend to go "full auto" and steer the gun with pairs, with singles we shoot more "individual" shots, esp. when the targets are close together.

If you increased the distance between the two targets, I bet you would see the transition time become more similar.

SA

Yes cadence and timing have a lot to do with it, I'm sure. (I'm a semi-reformed cadence shooter.) ...as does just being more accustomed to pairs. But there's got to be a deeper reason...

I don't have a problem shooting onesies on courses like Melody Line. In fact, I'm pretty good at it. Or at least I thought I was until the other day.

Steve, I'll have to try it at longer distance and compare.

I think that with pairs vs. single shots you have more time to prepare for the transition. The total time your gun is on each target is longer , giving you time to get a look at the next target as the second shot is going off on the first. Even if this is only a peripheral type of awareness of the next target , it helps get you there faster when shooting pairs. I can do .22 transitions occasionally on an el prez , but I can only do a .28 or so on on close single taps. Try .20 transitions on Speed-e standards , there's no way I can do it. My eyes just can't keep that kind of speed going without getting nystagmus. Even .28 on this drill is hard for me. The rate limiting factor seems to be how many seperate targets you can focus on in a given amount of time. In an el prez you only have to see 3 in say 1.2 seconds with .20 splits / .20 transitions per string , but if you were shooting single taps on each one you would only have .6 sec to see all three and that's much more difficult. Some might be able to do it , but I bet they wouldn't be looking at the gun when it went off , they'd have to already have their eyes on the next target.

Bill

If you can do .20 transitions shooting pairs then you know the reason you can't do it shooting singles is not because you can't index that fast. It has to be because your eyes can't see and focus that fast when there is not extra time and you are only dropping one shot on the target. In any event , its a real phenomenon, otherwise a great HF in something like Speed-e Standards would be around 18 , not 10. I think this is a real interesting discussion topic because it gets right to the root of shooting fast. The faster you can see the faster you can shoot.

Bill

could it be that, shooting pairs, you don't shoot as well, while you shoot singles more accurately? Then that visual tolerance would probably be higher for transitions, too... I easily get distracted from accuracy by speed. So, to summarize, maybe in the interest of shooting good points/scores, rather than speeding up your single-single transitions, you should slow down your double-double ones? Not by virtue of consciously slowing down (which, as we all know, accomplishes nothing...), but by virtue of seeing better shot placement?

Just a thought...

Had some time at the range today so I tested this phenomena. Two targets, about 5-6' apart, at 7 yards. Doing 1 transition 1 I was steady at 0.33-0.34 transitions, went to 2 transition 2 and I was solid at 0.24 transitions. Didn't have time to try it at longer distances.... <_<

I'm also guessing the problem lies in the conditioning of cadence.

Don't forget - your goal is to shoot two shots in each A box, as quickly as possble.

Sometimes, if seeing improves in one realm, it may get neglected in another.

be

re: conditioning of cadence

There must be something to that because my splits in a Bill drill aren't as good as my splits shooting a pair.

Back to the 1 vs. 2 transitions... I have more of a sensation of stopping the gun when shooting pairs. Shooting singles, I feel like I'm fighting to not just sweep the gun through the targets, yanking the trigger as the sight comes across each A zone.