Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is a sleeve of primers worth to you?

+1 Rob. One of the drawbacks of the contract with UPS is that if there IS a spill/accident involving your product you are financially responsible for the clean up and repairs. I am going to get my HazMat certs this month due to the DOT's fiscal requirements I have had to wait until May to apply for the training course.

Don't think they are not tracking those guys on Gunbroker. I was told the other day that UPS and the DOT (the regulating agency) are starting to run their stings on folks illegally shipping hazardous materials. Jail time and a $25,000 fine might just be some bad karma coming back to haunt some of those folks.

It's interesting that someone selling a house for what they can get isn't doing anything wrong, but someone doing the same with primers is ripping people off :).

I dont subscribe to this Rob. House Flippers in our area who would buy a home and then put it right back on the market for 10%-20% higher were not popular folks. This kind of opportunistic business practice is causing a lot folks much pain and suffering right now. I am gonna be the dissenting voice here and suggest that if you are going to sell primers to "friends", charge what you payed for them. I am never happy making a profit from friends. If you really will need to replenish them in the near future, do not sell them. The future prices and availability can not be predicted.

Just ship it ORM-D. You can ship ammo and it has primers in it.

I can't tell if you're being serious or not.

I was being serious but now I'm 2nd guessing myself. I would ASSUME that ORM-D would work since this is how you ship ammo but I am assuming. I better quit thread drifting and I'll ask someone more knowledgable than me. He isn't shipping it anyway. He is just saying he's adding the shipping that he paid.

Sorry for the thread drift Steve.

When in doubt Googling the works quite well.

From USPS.gov:

34 Mailability by Hazard Class

Nonmailable
Explosives

Nonmailable explosives found in the mailstream must be immediately reported in accordance with POM 139.117.

Nonmailable explosives include, but are not limited to, the following:

1. Common Fireworks. Fireworks are classified as Division 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, or 1.4 explosives depending on the degree of hazard. Fireworks include roman candles, skyrockets, helicopter–type rockets, cylindrical and cone fountains, pyrotechnic wheels, illuminating torches, firecrackers, salutes, and combinations of items that are designed to produce any of the aforementioned types of effects. All types of fireworks are prohibited from mailing.

2. Fuses. Fuses are classified as Division 1.3 or 1.4 explosives depending on the degree of hazard. All types of fuses (except safety fuses as permitted under 341.22) are prohibited from mailing.

Small Arms Ammunition. Ammunition is classified as a Division 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, or 1.4 explosive, depending on the degree of hazard. Ammunition that is regulated as a Class 1 explosive and designed to be fired from a pistol, revolver, rifle, or shotgun, as well as associated primers and blank cartridges (including those designed for tools) and propellant powder for use in any firearm, is prohibited from mailing.

UPS (United Parcel) on the other hand DOES allow shipping of ammunition under the DOT ORM-D classification, However Primers are classified under Division 1.4S:

Title 49 CFR states in Chapter 1, section 173.63 the packaging exceptions to full regulation. Under that section, (B) Cartridges, small arms, may be reclassed, and offered for transportation, and transported as ORM–D material when packaged in accordance with paragraph (B)(2) of this section; such transportation is excepted from the requirements of subparts E (Labeling) of part 172 of this subchapter. Cartridges, small arms, and cartridges power devices that may be shipped as ORM–D material is limited to:

(i) Ammunition for rifle, pistol or shotgun;

(ii) Ammunition with inert projectiles or blank ammunition;

(iii) Ammunition having no tear gas, incendiary, or detonating explosive projectiles;

(iv) Ammunition not exceeding 12.7 mm (50 caliber or 0.5 inch) for rifle or pistol, cartridges or 8 gauge for shotshells; and

(v) Cartridges, power devices which are used to project fastening devices

Primers are NOT ORM-D and must be labeled thusly: L-Exp1-4S.gif

I have a somewhat comfortable supply of primers and a couple of my shooting buddies that are running low.

If they need primers to continue shooting, I'll loan them some and they can replace them when the supply gets better.

For me, I'd rather do it that way than sell if it's a friend.

Can I be your friend????? I'll happily send you a few thousand if/when my order ever comes in...

JeffWard

:)

It's interesting that someone selling a house for what they can get isn't doing anything wrong, but someone doing the same with primers is ripping people off :).

I dont subscribe to this Rob. House Flippers in our area who would buy a home and then put it right back on the market for 10%-20% higher were not popular folks. This kind of opportunistic business practice is causing a lot folks much pain and suffering right now. I am gonna be the dissenting voice here and suggest that if you are going to sell primers to "friends", charge what you payed for them. I am never happy making a profit from friends. If you really will need to replenish them in the near future, do not sell them. The future prices and availability can not be predicted.

If we demonize those who have primers and sell them for the price the market allows, then there will soon be no primers coming out of those closets and into your press!

I sure have found a lot of friends since posting this. I sold two bricks of Wolf so far for $140 5000. I'll charge a little more for Feds and Wnchsters because they cost me more. I'm only doing this for my local buddies because I don't want to hassel with shipping and UPS.

I intend to keep at least 10K for me just in case. That should last two years of my current shootingr reuirements.

I delivered one case to a friend that works at a gun store, he can't get primers either. A guy in front of the store offered me double if I'd sell to him. No deal.

I sure have found a lot of friends since posting this. I sold two bricks of Wolf so far for $140 5000. I'll charge a little more for Feds and Wnchsters because they cost me more. I'm only doing this for my local buddies because I don't want to hassel with shipping and UPS.

I intend to keep at least 10K for me just in case. That should last two years of my current shootingr reuirements.

I delivered one case to a friend that works at a gun store, he can't get primers either. A guy in front of the store offered me double if I'd sell to him. No deal.

Clearly you are doing what you feel is right and I agree with you. You know your friends and how they will respond to you when you may be in need someday and I am sure they would do the same for you. It's good to see someone do what they feel is right.