Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help with my Dillon 650

Hey guys. I am new to the site however I did try to search first but could not find anything that covered this. I could have missed it though as im still trying to get used to this site.

I got my Dillon 650 set up today and im having a couple small problems.

1) when my brass is is entering station number one to get decapped and sized some of the times the brass is not lining up right. If I notice this I have to (with my left hand) reach in and pull the brass towards the left to line up right. If I dont notice this I get brass that ends up looking like this:

100_1961.jpg

Im not sure why sometimes they are not going all the way in but I have noticed that im having some powder spillage and a couple times I have had to clean out the holders. Is it normal to have powder spillage sometimes? Im using Trail Boss.

2) I know I cant decap a live primer so when I get a case where I didnt properly seat the primer what would be the best way to dispose of the case? It only happend on the deformed case (totally my fault) but I cant use the case and the primer is live in it so im just looking for the proper way to get rid of it now.

100_1963.jpg

100_1965.jpg

All of that being said I was able to manage to load up 110 rounds of .45 Colt. I was pretty pleased with the overall outcome. I think this machine will be awesome once I get the couple kinks worked out of it. As it is now I have to really watch close what im doing and take my time. I cant run it too quick yet.

100_1956.jpg

Here is my set up though.

100_1968.jpg

All input and comments welcome.

Joey

just off the top of my head, i would look for anything thats hindering the shells movement into station 1.

usually when a shell is misplaced in station 1, you can feel the extra effort to work the handle.

you can decap live primers but be extra cautious and be gentle as possible. if you're uncomfortable decapping a live primer, you can soak it (can't remember what to use. do a search here) and dispose of it.

just off the top of my head, i would look for anything thats hindering the shells movement into station 1.

usually when a shell is misplaced in station 1, you can feel the extra effort to work the handle.

you can decap live primers but be extra cautious and be gentle as possible. if you're uncomfortable decapping a live primer, you can soak it (can't remember what to use. do a search here) and dispose of it.

Thanks for the info on the primer decapping. I will try to find it in search.

Looks like your shell plate and decapping die aren't aligned properly. The casing should enter the decapping die cleanly.

good point to consider.

did you have a case in each station, all the dies loose and the tool head in the up position before adjusting and tightening your dies?

Looks like your shell plate and decapping die aren't aligned properly. The casing should enter the decapping die cleanly.

good point to consider.

did you have a case in each station, all the dies loose and the tool head in the up position before adjusting and tightening your dies?

No. I did it by the book because this was my first one. Each station was done separate.

I didn't see where you said what kind of dies you are using. The Dillon resize die has a little taper at the opening that makes it just a bit larger. Also when I set a shell plate I finger tighten it, then back it off a 1/8-1/4 turn before I tighten the lock screw on the shaft. When you bring the handle up the shell plate should snap into the next detente.

Another thing to consider when setting up the casefeeder. I believe Dillon gives a better explanation of setting up the cam in the troubleshooting part of the manual than in the normal setup part of the manual.

Make sure the cam is adjusted so that it just pushes the case all the way in the shell plate. Otherwise, it the cam allows the case to be "compressed" a bit in the shellplate slot, then it will pop out a bit as the cam retracts, and the case mouth will get chewed by the die.

I had the same problems setting up a casefeeder on a perfectly operating 550. Once I got that figured out, it has been trouble free ever since.

Take care,

Dave

+1 definitely look at the cam that slides the shell into the casefeed. Adjust so that it just gets the shell all the way in, without any 'tilting'. Also, use smooth strokes. If the bench isn't really really solid, and you use a jerky stroke, it can cause the shell to slide a little, as well as spill some powder. The shell plate tightness may also be an issue, as if it is too tight it tends to really snap into place. This can cause spillage of powder, especially with a ultra-high-volume powder like trailboss.

Some people place the bullet on the case when it is in the 3rd station, but I see you are using a powder check (very good idea, especially for a beginner), so you can't do that.

To sum, check the cam adjustment, the tightness of the shellplate (I can only hand tighten mine), and use smooth consistent strokes.

Good luck, and welcome to the big blue nation.

J

Another thing to consider when setting up the casefeeder. I believe Dillon gives a better explanation of setting up the cam in the troubleshooting part of the manual than in the normal setup part of the manual.

Make sure the cam is adjusted so that it just pushes the case all the way in the shell plate. Otherwise, it the cam allows the case to be "compressed" a bit in the shellplate slot, then it will pop out a bit as the cam retracts, and the case mouth will get chewed by the die.

I had the same problems setting up a casefeeder on a perfectly operating 550. Once I got that figured out, it has been trouble free ever since.

Take care,

Dave

1. The cam, it may not be properly set.

2. The feed insert, the little aluminum bit that drops into the shell path that the cam pushes the bullet through. If the end of the rail gets bent (and misloads like you are seeing eventually do bend it) then it can hinder the last bit of movement of the cam. Also, make sure you have it in the right way. :)

Some advice: When loading, get your head as far left as you comfortably can, so that you can check the powder charge and see the case enter station 1 in your peripheral vision. In my experience station 2 takes care of itself (or by feel) so 4 and 1 are where you need to pay attention.

H.

The liquid to soak the case in is WD40 to deactivate the primer. I'm not going to assume anything. The last bit of movement that pushs the case into Station one is the primer sitting movement i.e. the pressure forward(away from you) on the handle. this action is best used as a "2nd step" and not a continuation of the action down so as to feel the primer enter the case. At that point the case in Station 1 should be fully seated. If not then The cam as mentioned above is the obvious problem and it needs adjustment.