Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Muzzle flip

Ignatz

I have both, although mine are the 686s and have shot thousands of rounds through each. Frankly, I don't notice an appreciable difference in recoil between them. Recoil is subjective to each individual. For me the additional 2" is benefical at longer distances. A 681 4" has been my carry gun for years.

Ignatz, From what I have experienced the 6 inch has more weight but because of the sight radius the movement will be more evident. The 4 inch weighs less but won't be as recognizable. And because of the differences in each revo , the barrel gap and tightness of barrel, one load may not be same in both revos. But as Carmoney alludes to "more weight = less perceivable muzzle flip and recoil." Not much help huh? later rdd

I've got a 6" 686 and a 4" 625, and ammo for both loaded to major. The 6" has a full underlug, and appears to have less muzzle flip, because I can get back on target a tad faster.

But then again, I've just started to shoot the 625, and I'm still getting used to it.

One thing I did notice that hasn't been mentioned concerns the grips.

I've got JM wood grips and rubber grips for the 625. After shooting the same major PF ammo with both grips, I've found that the rubber grips give me a lot better control on muzzle flip than the smooth wood grips. As with any revo, you want to grip as high up on the backstrap as possible. What I found was that the smooth wood grips required more conscious squeezing to hold the gun against the rotational energy that causes muzzle flip. And the relatively lower friction between my hands and the grip surface meant the gun was slipping out of my grip a tiny bit with each shot. With the rubber grips, the grip surface "grabs" the skin of my hands when the gun is fired, which prevents slippage. It feels as though the skin of my hand stretches slightly when the gun is fired, and the elasticity of my skin helps to return the gun to the "on-target" orientation.

The rubber grips also absorb more of the shock from firing off a round, which is noticeable when you're shooting a major match with major PF ammo.

I know I've read someplace that JM likes the "squishy" feeling of the gun in his hands that the smooth wood of his grips gives him. Personally, I like the more secure feeling that the rubber grips give me.

I'm also still experimenting with reloading techniques for the 625. The rubber grips do affect how the weak hand and strong hand reloads are done, as the gun cannot rotate as freely in the gripping hand in either case.

I know I've read someplace that JM likes the "squishy" feeling of the gun in his hands that the smooth wood of his grips gives him. Personally, I like the more secure feeling that the rubber grips give me.

I agree. Tried the JM wood grips, and they just weren't for me when shooting major. Jerry must have some really strong hands to like those grips.

Edited by chemepharmd

I agree as well. Jerry's reload technique involves a lot of "slippage" of his hands over the gun. Sometimes he has even powdered or dusted his hands to enhance the slipperiness. He wants the grip to stay slippery. (Like so many other things, what works so well for Jerry does not seem to translate very well to the rest of us.)

If you keep the gun in your right hand and reload with your left hand, as many of us now do, you will probably prefer a softer, stickier, rubber grip. You won't want, or need, the "slippage" that Jerry is going for.

One thing Jerry does that we should all try to emulate--and this relates directly back to the issue of muzzle flip--is to hang onto the handle of the gun good and hard, and use the musculature of the hands and arms to keep the muzzle from jumping way up on each shot. Most people do not hold onto the gun hard enough. Even good shooters tend to get tired as they progress through the stage, allowing the muzzle to flip more and more with each array of targets they engage--I know I catch myself doing this sometimes. Holding on hard is even more important with revolvers because of the double-action pull we're cranking all the time. A very firm grip not only helps the shooter control recoil and speed up the splits and transitions, it also helps the revolver shooter get better hits by not allowing the sight picture to dislodge quite so easily under the stress of the DA trigger pull.

Thanks for the replies. I somehow thought the shorter barrel would be less prone to muzzle flip because the bullet leaves the barrel faster. I can see how a powerful grip is more important than barrel lenght.