Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sling For Shotgun

Here's another gear question.

I've recently ordered one of Kyle's V-Tac slings for my AR and was thinking that I might want to order one for the shotgun. However, I wanted to ask folks, if in general they use a sling. I imagine so, for longer shots, but maybe not a tac sling, because of the reloading involved with the shotgun.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rich

The V-Tac sling is a great item to have for your shotgun too. Even if you only need it once in a blue moon, it will come in handy sooner or later on any long gun. I am too lazy to want to reset anything so I got one for each of my competition long guns. I leave them on my longuns whenever possible while shooting and have recently integrated the V-Tac sling into my IPSC shotgun handling technique to help stabilize during loading. I almost always use it to carry long guns to and from stages slung tight across my back muzzle up, or hanging in front of me muzzle down (where legal).

If you use it to stabilize the shotgun for slug shooting check to see if the torque applied to the forend, or barrel isn't drastically changing your impact. I actually have a bipod mount on my (open division) shotgun to allow fast stable slug shooting when the position favors it.

Regards,

If you ever take any kind of formal classes, a sling will come in handy (and may be mandatory) in more than one case. You'll use it while you're not on the line (the equivalent of being holstered) and for doing transitions to the handgun at the very least.

Plus you'll look cool!

I have only one sling, but I can attach it to more than one long gun with a carabiner.

I never run one on a competition shotgun, although I always take along the stuff to put one on as a few stages I have run into over the years have requiered a transition to pistol with retention of the shotgun. I usually use just a regular sling that is long enough to fit over the head with hearing protection on. I like leather slings for this single aplication because they tend to flop around a lot less. I have never found the need for a shooting sling on a shotgun, and like a non free float AR I have seen massive point of impact shifts when slung tight. KURT

• 2 weeks later...