Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Short Colt with an SDB

t0066jh

I posted this in the 9mm/38sp reloading. Got some good responses but not strong consensus. Tom M recommended I post it in the Revolver Forum. So, please help, the brass, 38 R&P short colt, is on it's way along with 135 gr BillyBullets.

I've read some "tips" that this can be done with 38 Special dies in station 1 and 3 and 9mm dies in station 2 and 4 in some reloaders but none SDB specific. Please advise if you've had experience with this.

Thanks..........Joe

This is what I do.

I have a dillon 650

I purchased Lee 38 Short Colt dies and a Lee 9mm Factory crimp die.

I size with the 38 SC Die. You could use a 38 spl as well.

I use a 38 super/9mm powder drop as I don't have a 38 Short Colt conversion kit from dillon. I have 38 spl kit and the 9mm powder drop is the same part.

I use the seater from the 38 Short Colt set and the crimp is the 9mm

it is a taper crimp instead of a roll crimp.

hope this helps

dcs

I guess I need to be more specific.

To load 38 Short Colt in a Dillon SDB can I do the following

The unit is set up to load 38 Special

Station #1 Use my existing 38 special sizer and de primer die ......no change

Station #2 Use my 9mm die for powder drop and case bell.........swap this out from my other SDB set up for 9mm..adjust for proper belling of the case

Station #3 Use my existing 38 special die...............................no change .........adjust to seat bullet at desired depth

Station #4 Use my 9mm crimp die...........................................swap this out frommy other SDB set up for 9mm.. adjst for proper crimp

Will this work? Have you done it?

Edited by t0066jh

Please advise if you've had experience with this.

Joe, I do all my reloading on my pair of SDBs. For .38 Short Colt, I simply use the 9mm conversion with a .38 Spl. sizing die at Station 1 and a .38 Spl. shell plate. Makes great ammo.

Please advise if you've had experience with this.

Joe, I do all my reloading on my pair of SDBs. For .38 Short Colt, I simply use the 9mm conversion with a .38 Spl. sizing die at Station 1 and a .38 Spl. shell plate. Makes great ammo.

So. Station 2, 9mm SDB die

Station 3, 9mm SDB seating die

Station 4 9mm SDB crimp die.

Have I got it right?

Edited by t0066jh

The only reason to use4 a 9mm crimp die is if you are using 9mm bullets. If you are using .357 or larger bullets the .38 crimp die will work just add a spacer as the die will not crimp as it is to long. The spacer needs to go in the die and I think that a roll crimp works better and that is what you should have with your .38 crimp die.

The only reason to use4 a 9mm crimp die is if you are using 9mm bullets. If you are using .357 or larger bullets the .38 crimp die will work just add a spacer as the die will not crimp as it is to long. The spacer needs to go in the die and I think that a roll crimp works better and that is what you should have with your .38 crimp die.

I'm going to use a 160 gr or 135gr 38 special bullet. So, where do I get a spacer and where does the spacer go. I'm still a little new at this so please assume you're talking to a total klutz. I do catch on pretty quick.

Edited by t0066jh

Hold on now--he's talking about a Square Deal B. The .38 Special crimp die will not reach down far enough when you're loading .38 Short Colts. So you have to taper crimp--but that's not a problem as long as you crimp them enough.

Joe--use a .38 sizing die and a .38 shell plate, and everything else just use the stuff that comes with the 9mm conversion. Trust me on this, I've been running SDBs for over 20 years.

For the confusion from your other thread. "Station 3" has a seat die and a seat stem. The "seat stem" is the part you adjust with a wrench for oal. You can use either the 38 or 9mm seat die, but you need the 9mm seat stem.

Hold on now--he's talking about a Square Deal B. The .38 Special crimp die will not reach down far enough when you're loading .38 Short Colts. So you have to taper crimp--but that's not a problem as long as you crimp them enough.

Joe--use a .38 sizing die and a .38 shell plate, and everything else just use the stuff that comes with the 9mm conversion. Trust me on this, I've been running SDBs for over 20 years.

Mike

Thanks for the reply. I've been lurking long enough that as far as your advice goes, I can "take it to the bank". I love this Forum

Joe

Mike

Thanks for the reply. I've been lurking long enough that as far as your advice goes, I can "take it to the bank". I love this Forum

Joe

You can take his advice to the bank but it ain't worth nothing. :sight:

Tom