Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primers: Are They Different?

Venezuela

I only had to reseat primers when I began reloading because I wasn't always completing the upstroke on the SDB. Now that I know what that's all about, reseating is infrequent. In fact, I'm setting aside now any that won't seat off into the bullet-pulling pile and avoiding the risk. I'm also taking note of which casing type(s) tend to be the ones not seating well so I can perhaps dump 'em (and not reload them) or treat them with extra attention. It's just the learning curve......... :)

I am certain that Federal SP 100's are more sensitive than WSP's because my JP Glock striker will not ignite WSP's reliably (about 50-60% ignition rate), whereas the FSP's go bang 100% of the time.

I looked at the WSP's that didn't all go bang, and compared them to the FSP's that did and to my eye there was more striker indentation in the FSP's. Maybe softer, maybe more clearance to the anvil inside, I don't know for sure. But the fact is, the striker goes into the FSP's further.

BTW, I too have found primer brand/type to make little, or no difference in most pistol loading recipies. (Lawyer mode on) That said, I would still never substitute any component without reducing charge and testing (Lawyer mode off).

Regards,

And the debate continues! Winchester is always billed as one of the softest primers. I kind of think I will change my opinion on the purity of the alloy sheet that the primer guys all use. If it changes that much (46,000- 76,000 TS) perhaps that can explain why all primers can be called hard, and at the same time be called soft....,.Depends on the day the primer manufacturer bought the alloy sheet.

FWIW, the only time I have had a primer "pop" in the good old 650 is with Federal "white box" 99 stamped brass in 45. I was using WW primers and boy does that increase the old heart rate. Sorting out all this brass and sending it through the primer swage cured that problem.

Also All my glocks have lightened strikers and light springs and I have never had any primer sensitivity problems, but I know several people who do, with the same set up! Who can say! KURT