Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chrono data Atlanta Arms 147gr JHP Team Glock load

G-ManBart

Hey all, finally got to chrono some of the Atlanta Arms & Ammo 147gr JHP Team Glock load out of my M&P Pro today. If anybody is wondering, this is loaded in new Starline cases and they advised they typically see 920fps or so out of a Glock 34.

I shot two strings one right after the other. The first was only 13 shots as I hadn't figured out the exact spot to hold and the rear sensor missed the first two. The second string was 15 rounds. It was mostly sunny, but the sun was pretty low and I swear that makes for less consistent chrono readings....might be why the ES was was high as it is. After I move I'm going to make a chrono box and remove that variable.

String 1, Average 910fps, ES 46.73 and an SD of 14.14 for a 133.7PF.

String 2, Average 908.2fps, ES 52.12, and an SD of 15.71 for a 133.5PF.

It shoots very soft, cycles the gun just fine and the accuracy has been very good. I posted a pic in another thread of a 1.25" group I shot at 25yds using a rolled up towel as a rest. It was in so-so lighting so some of the vertical stringing was probably caused by that. Still...more than acceptable for what we do and the point of impact was just slightly below point of aim at that distance...like half an inch or so...again, fine for what we do although I would prefer to have the point of impact a tiny touch higher...not enough reason to change the front sight though.

Now if I could just find out what powder and charge AAA is using and I'd have my load development entirely finished! R,

Edited by G-ManBart

Now if I could just find out what powder and charge AAA is using and I'd have my load development entirely finished! R,

I can shed some light on that.

Around 2004 or 2005, Phil Strader got a sample of the AAA competition load then under development. We compared the AAA load to some competition ammo I had loaded up: a Zero 147 JHP over 3.2 grns of Vihta Vouri N310 @ 1.150" OAL w/ 1X Hirtenberger L7A1 brass. That ammo made average 875 out of the Glock 17s we were using.

The AAA ammo used the same bullet (at least then it did) and it shot VERY soft; it was very very similar to my N310 load. BUT, I asked Phil what the powder was & he replied that it was "Winchester" - then he quoted some three digit number I'd never heard of. I looked around for it on the net back then. Apparently, its a powder that comes only in large drums & isn't available to us (unless you want to set up a reloading corporation & order a ton of it).

Of course, that was then. They might have changed things since then. Sorry the info leads to a dead end.

Thanks for the data Gman!

I use this load too for GSSF Matches. It is a soft load. I haven't chrono it in anything other than my two 9MM 1911s'. It made the power factor in one, but not the other. I do need to chrono it in my CZ Shadow to make sure it meets power factor, but I'm happy with it.

The AAA ammo used the same bullet (at least then it did) and it shot VERY soft; it was very very similar to my N310 load. BUT, I asked Phil what the powder was & he replied that it was "Winchester" - then he quoted some three digit number I'd never heard of. I looked around for it on the net back then. Apparently, its a powder that comes only in large drums & isn't available to us (unless you want to set up a reloading corporation & order a ton of it).

Rats, I was hoping that wasn't the case....oh well, I don't mind working up loads and I'm sure I can come up with something in the same ballpark. Thanks!

Winchester has not made gun powder in a long time (I don’t know exactly how long). Most Winchester labeled powder is made by St Marks in Florida. While I do not know what powder AAA is using it could be WSX170 (three digit number?) which is Winchester Super Field in you’re local store.

Could you please list the OAL?

Also even though you don't know the powder type did you pull one and see how much powder was in it? At least you would know if the powder is fast or slow.

Hey all, finally got to chrono some of the Atlanta Arms & Ammo 147gr JHP Team Glock load out of my M&P Pro today. If anybody is wondering, this is loaded in new Starline cases and they advised they typically see 920fps or so out of a Glock 34.

String 1, Average 910fps, ES 46.73 and an SD of 14.14 for a 133.7PF.

String 2, Average 908.2fps, ES 52.12, and an SD of 15.71 for a 133.5PF.

It shoots very soft, cycles the gun just fine and the accuracy has been very good. I posted a pic in another thread of a 1.25" group...

Nice results! Looks like your got a good barrel... with the same AA&A load, my stock M&P Pro barrel was pretty slow - like 870fps avg. And the accuracy was pretty bad too. When I switched to a Storm Lake barrel, the velocity (and accuracy) improvements were dramatic - 925fps avg.

As for the AA&A 147gr load, they use Zero 147gr JHPs over 4.0gr of a commercial powder (very similar to Winchester WSF) loaded to about 1.10 OAL for both their reloads and new Starline brass loads.

Edited by Xfactor

Could you please list the OAL?

Also even though you don't know the powder type did you pull one and see how much powder was in it? At least you would know if the powder is fast or slow.

Just measured one and it's 1.10" exactly. I haven't pulled one, but I might now, just for grins. R,

Nice results! Looks like your got a good barrel... with the same AA&A load, my stock M&P Pro barrel was pretty slow - like 870fps avg. And the accuracy was pretty bad too. When I switched to a Storm Lake barrel, the velocity (and accuracy) improvements were dramatic - 925fps avg.

As for the AA&A 147gr load, they use Zero 147gr JHPs over 4.0gr of a commercial powder (very similar to Winchester WSF) loaded to about 1.10 OAL for both their reloads and new Starline brass loads.

Yeah, I've heard the newer guns seem to be a little more accurately. I've got to call a friend of mine at a barrel company tomorrow and I'm going to ping him on the idea of a premium barrel for the M&P Pro and offer mine up as the test mule for them to measure.

The bullet certainly looks like a Zero, to me, but I don't have an Zero 147s here now to compare...will rectify that soon! R,

Not to drift but I wanted to pick up a case of this stuff from AA&A. Only to take some pressure off my shrinking component supply. Danny's reply was that it's not available at this time. Didn't ask when it's expected back. Dang. <_< ....that hurts.

Jim

Bart, the powder AAA is using comes from the General Dynamics St. Marks Powder plant in St. Marks, Florida. They actually use fat lighter stumps to make the powder. AAA gets it by the drum.

In my 9Pro, I am using 4.2gr N320 (also used in my .40 loads) in mixed brass with WSP loaded to 1.130 with a 124gr MG JHP and I get 131pf. It's a stupid soft load, I was certain it wasn't going to make power, but it does with ease. I am sticking with the VV powders as it is so much cleaner than anything I have tried, and since I get dealer pricing, it's not that bad. ;)

Not to drift but I wanted to pick up a case of this stuff from AA&A. Only to take some pressure off my shrinking component supply. Danny's reply was that it's not available at this time. Didn't ask when it's expected back. Dang. <_< ....that hurts.

Jim

Ouch....that does suck. :(

Bart, the powder AAA is using comes from the General Dynamics St. Marks Powder plant in St. Marks, Florida. They actually use fat lighter stumps to make the powder. AAA gets it by the drum.

In my 9Pro, I am using 4.2gr N320 (also used in my .40 loads) in mixed brass with WSP loaded to 1.130 with a 124gr MG JHP and I get 131pf. It's a stupid soft load, I was certain it wasn't going to make power, but it does with ease. I am sticking with the VV powders as it is so much cleaner than anything I have tried, and since I get dealer pricing, it's not that bad. ;)

Interesting stuff. I'm probably going to start out with N320 as well since I'm also already loading it in .40. It sounds like TG and Solo 1000 also get good reports so at least there's a decent selection to try if need be. R,

I called Atlanta Arms and was told they are not taking orders from new customers.

Weird, I called a couple weeks ago and he was happy to add me to their *call* list when they were making 147 again. he didnt ask if I was new or an old customer, which I have ordered from them before, but I doubt he knows us all by name as I dont order much from them.

Interesting stuff. I'm probably going to start out with N320 as well since I'm also already loading it in .40. It sounds like TG and Solo 1000 also get good reports so at least there's a decent selection to try if need be. R,

My friends load uses Solo 1000 and there was obviously a good bit more smoke than mine with the N320. He said shooting them they felt the same, but his did NOT make pf, mine was about 7pf more than his. He was using 4.2gr of Solo, I am using 4.2 gr of N320, and I am getting 131pf out of my 9Pro. We were comparing them out of his G34.

Bart, the powder AAA is using comes from the General Dynamics St. Marks Powder plant in St. Marks, Florida. They actually use fat lighter stumps to make the powder. AAA gets it by the drum...

How does resinous pine wood turn into smokeless powder? :unsure:

Yeah yeah, winchester/St Marks - same thing. everyone knows that. Look at the other replies above; they say the exact same thing I did: its a commercial grade powder that St Marks does not sell to the public.

AAA is great ammo, whatever they use. Personally, I like single base Solo 1000 for 147s.

Winchester has not made gun powder in a long time (I don’t know exactly how long). Most Winchester labeled powder is made by St Marks in Florida. While I do not know what powder AAA is using it could be WSX170 (three digit number?) which is Winchester Super Field in you’re local store.

Yeah Yeah everyone knows that. Well then you know that St Marks sells to Western Powder who will sell those special commercial powders to normal people (and to most small reloading companies). If you would read above you will see that if you have the ST Marks name/code you can get that special powder from Western Powder. But thanks for the help.