Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Want To Try Idpa

Rocket

I'm thinking of giving IDPA a try. There is a monthly match nearby and I've got the itch. I'm guessing I will get into ESP since I shoot entirely USPSA Lim 40 right now and am all geared up for reloading 40 already. I'm thinking I will have a SVI 40 built up like Matt's cross comp except not 9mm. Will that be a big disadvantage ( not shooting 9mm) ? What type of rig and other equipement will I need will I need ? What practice skills should I work on. I have no idea what a tactical reload is. Does this sound like a good plan with the gun , or should I go another route like CDP ?

Thanks for any input.

Bill

There is no disadvantage with .40 in an S*I gun. The IDPA power factor for ESP is 125. An SVI Cross Competitor in .40 would be great and could act as a backup Limited gun. Just make sure that your gun goes to slide lock because that is needed in IDPA.

If you want to go CDP then get the gun in .45 and then the power factor is 165.

You also need carry length magazine tubes and either SVI aluminum wedge basepads or Dawson International basepads to be able to fit in the IDPA box.

You need an IDPA approved holster. Most people shoot Kydex. I like the Comp-Tac Locking Paddle from www.comp-tac.com BTW, this is the holster Matt B. uses too. Also get a double magazine carrier or two single carriers whichever you prefer. In IDPA you can only have two mags on the belt. You will also need a vest. The most popular are the Domke Photog, the Royal Robbins 511, and the Competitive Concealment vest. The first two are production vests that you can get at a number of places. The Competitive Concealment vest is made by an IDPA shooter and can be found at www.tacticaltrainers.com

A good pictorial of a Tactical Reload can be found at

http://idpa.gunsnet.net/tacload.html

The best thing to do is just show up with something and shoot. Borrow a buddies rig if needed. I wouldn't order a gun and equipment until you are sure you want to compete in IDPA.

Thanks Vincent , that all sounds like good advice. My main problem is the only gun I have is a STI Edge 40 with a bull barrel and I don't think I can shoot IDPA with it , so I'm going to have to take the plunge with a new blaster. Not that I need much of an excuse to get another gun !!

Bill

Usually a club will let you shoot whatever you have for the first match, so shoot your STI Edge .40

You can then decide what you want to shoot. Watch all the regulars and see what equiptment they are using.

It is a fun game.......come and play! B)

Also check out the IDPA website the rulebook is online there and give information about what is legal on the gun and the other equipment. Get ahold of the MD in your area and ask if you can come and just run through a match with what you got to see if you like it.