Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Remington bullet quality

Wanted

• 2 months later...

If you get the remingtons, make sure you get what you want. I picked up 2k of the Remington 55's and was a little perturbed to find out that while they are fmj's, they are flat based fmj's... and are a pain to load, even if I inside chamfer the cases.

I've found with Rem and Win that if you grab a handfull and inspect them you can see a difference visually, which never made me feel good. I'm sure they use several different dies and such, but when the canelure is in a different spot it makes me have doubts. The Win. .223 fmj bullets I had shot pretty good, but I'd say go with the Hornady if you can find them. I had some .17 cal. 25gr Remington bullets that varies by 4 grains. They refunded my money, but I won't do that again.

If you get the remingtons, make sure you get what you want. I picked up 2k of the Remington 55's and was a little perturbed to find out that while they are fmj's, they are flat based fmj's... and are a pain to load, even if I inside chamfer the cases.

I find that the flat base bullets fly really good to 200-300 yds.

The base of the bullet is flat.. ie, at 90 degree angles...

|_|

as opposed to Boat tailed

\_/

I find that if the bullet has a boat tail, you generally are saved the bother of chamfering cases so that the bullet seats easier. Since the base of the bullet is a boat tail, it slides right in as opposed to needing the case mouth to be chamferred at an angle to allow the flat based bullet to seat.

Usually you do not flare a rifle case mouth like you do a pistol case mouth to seat bullets therefore one seats easier than the other.

Edited by sargenv