Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Offer to buy- How long should it be good for?

On another forum, I posted a WTB ad for a type of pistol. One seller responded, and we agreed on a price. I asked him for his prefered method of payment, and then he disappeared.....

After three days, I copied and resent my last e-mail, along with a note that if he was away from the computer, or if he was no longer interested in selling, that was fine, but to please let me know.

How long would you wait before moving on? My gut suggests that after a week without communication, I should be guilt free if I walk on my offer and look for another gun.

one option would be to follow procedures from a site like Gunbroker.com, they have a good system and you could follow it when/where it applied. I think your right, a week should be long enough IMHO <_<

Doesn't sound to me like you EVER had a solid deal. Walk immediately and sell to someone else if you can.

I was/am the buyer in this case, but I'd tend to agree. To me, a solid deal exists only when they buyer and seller have come to terms. In this case, I agreed to the buyers terms, but he has yet to follow up with how he wants to be paid, etc. I'm in limbo right now, not knowing if I actually have a deal.

Doesn't sound to me like you EVER had a solid deal. Walk immediately and sell to someone else if you can.

+1

You know exactly where the deal stands - do you have pictures, phone number, etc?

I think at this point it's completely appropriate to send a polite note saying 'thanks, but no thanks, since you've been incommunicado.' I'm stupid enough to think purchasing a firearm through the internet, from a private individual is a reasonably big deal, and the logistics should be solid.

Just go somewhere else, man. I mean, various things could've happened - from the guy being a flake, all the way to some kind of emergency in his life. No biggie - you're not out any cash. Just move on... ;)