Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9 in 40 Clearing

Anyone got a quick way to clear the case feed when you get a 9mm case nested into a 40 case? I have started to double screen range brass with the shell sorter to avoid this but a few still get through. I moved the case feeder up on the mount to create a 1/2" gap between the botton of the funnel and the drop tube so it can be removed quickly but I still have to pull the drop tube and adaptor to clear the stoppage.

This is no help toward clearing the case feeder, but it might help avoiding the problem...

I do a rough sort first using the plastic sorters. 2nd step is then to clean using vibrating cleaner. I then inspect all of the brass while half-watching TV. I grab 5-10 and arrange them in my hand such that I can look down at the top of all of them to look for cracks or dents. I then roll them down my hand looking for dents, cracks, or bulges on the outside of the cases. While doing this I also catch any cases that are stuck inside another as well as separate the 10s from the 40s, the 380s from the 9s, and the 45 GAPs from the ACPs.

I'm pretty new to this but I'm doing the same thing as HLG. Sort with the sorter trays, tumble single calibers, then hand sort tossing splits, dents, nested cases, wrong caliber, etc. Doesn't take that long once you get a method down pat. It takes me about 10 minutes to inspect a tumbler full of clean brass.

I moved the case feeder up on the mount to create a 1/2" gap between the botton of the funnel and the drop tube so it can be removed quickly...

I keep seeing this suggested. It's a lot of work compared to the obvious solution: Pop the tube out, and cut it down with a hacksaw in about 5 seconds. ;)