Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mooncliptool & Hearthco Moonclips

Steelshooter3

Recently acquired an older 8-shot 627 in .38/.357. It came with moonclips of various thickness and manufacture. Some were very loose, others extremely tight. Some friends gave me the mooncliptool (advertised in the Dillon catalog) as a present. I had also purchased some moonclips from Hearthco. Unfortunately, due to the width of the Hearthco clips, I was unable to use the mooncliptool with them so it was back to needlenose pliers.

-Hearthco moonclips work flawlessly.

-Mooncliptool is a well made tool that was great to use with the other moonclips. The other moonclips,, that I have, worked with various results and will probably be discarded or given away.

The Hearthco moonclips I purchased were for use with .38 special Federal brass. It is possible that the tool will work with other Hearthco moonclips. Just my experience - thought someone might benefit from it.

I recently purchased the moonclip tool from Dillon for my 627. Found that it worked fine with the Ranch or S&W factory 627x8 clips, but couldn't get the Hearthco clips to fit over the arbor, which was a problem because they are the ones I wanted the tool for (can pretty easily press rounds into the other clips by hand, but not the tighter Hearthcos). Called Dillon, and they set me up with a replacement arbor with a smaller diameter, simple matter to change over. Works great now!

I don't own one of those tools yet, but I plan on buying one as they've been getting good feedback on this forum. When I was doing my research, I found that they actually make ten different arbors to fit on the tool. There is even one especially for Hearthco clips. Perhaps you only need to replace the mandrel. Here's the link:

http://www.mooncliptool.com/

Good luck with it.

I use the inexpensive (ca $75 per 100) Ranch Products 8 shot moonclips. They work well for me with every brand case except Starline which are too loose for comfort. I find Winchester brass to be the tightest, then Remington and Federal much looser. I'll switch to Hearthco clips when the limiting factor in my performance is the nature of the moonclips. I also don't get that gut wrenching feel when one of the other competitors or an RO accidentally steps on one of my ejected moonclips - heck, it's inly 75 cents not $4!

Edited by TonyT

Hey Guys. Thanks for the kind words!

Im sorry for those of you that have experienced difficulty making my clips work with the various other gear you use.

It is very difficult to justify making mods to the clips to suit each type of demooner and holding device out there, considering all of the customers out there that have made there changes to their gear work with the clips.

I am tremendously greatful to the folks like Tom Kilhoffer, Elliot Ayesen, Dillion, and every other manufacturer who made changes in their products to suit my clips.

I try to make the very best clips I can for the competetive shooter. Dave B)

Buy the center post from Moonclip.com for Hearthco clips. It will work with the tool you are talking about. A friend of mine is the major player in these tools and I have been using them for a long time. He recently hooked up with Dillon which is great for him. When I had a 627, he was only making the tool in 45ACP so on a whim I bought the posts from TK and they worked. This is what you want