Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

+P+ in Witness pistols

Barry Davis

Has anyone shot +P+ rounds in Witness pistols? I know the manual says not to, but I got some 98BPLE Federal 115g +P+ 9mm rounds that I would like to carry in my Witness. They are not something I would shoot often, but these are supposed to be really good rounds for self defense. I carry a full-steel witness.

If the manual says to not do it, then why try to do it? If your intent with the Witness pistol is self defense then I would think that your number one priority would be to ensure functionality of the pistol, not circumvent it. If it was me, I would use regular power ammo and have the opportunity to fill the bad guy with endless holes verses risk using over power ammo and having a malfunction during a fire fight that could render the pistol ineffective.

You can always sell the +P+ ammo if you have to. People are clamoring to buy up pretty much anything right now.

Just because you have the ammo does not mean you have to shoot it right?

According to what I have found online, it runs 38,500 PSI.

Other than the obvious contact the ammo maker and see how the +P+ stacks up to 38super or 9-23 that guys do shoot in the witness line . Might be all you need is a heavier recoil spring. It would help to know more about the ammo.

Barry with 38super at 36.500 and 9-23mm at 40,000 all on the same base diameter you should be able to but with some recoil spring changes. Got to be someone hear shooting 9-23 in a 38super barrel or have some feedback ? Try a search for 9-23 in a witness and see what pops up.

It is not something I would shoot a lot of. I shoot my Witness quite a bit and have become VERY comfortable with it. Because of that, it has become my carry gun. It just makes sense to me to carry the gun that I shoot the most and am the most comfortable with. If the day ever arrives when I need to draw to protect my family (...and i hope that day NEVER comes!), I want to know that that I have the right collection of variables in my favor: Good gun, good training, and good bullets.

I have the good gun! The Witness has proved to be an incredible firearm. Accuracy and ergonomics are second to none. It is a bit heavy, but Im 6'4" and 280 pounds...so heavy is a relative term!

I have taken several defense pistol classes and I go to the range at least once a week. My good ole' Dillon press churns out at least 350 bullets a week for me to shoot.

I just want to carry the best bullets too and the Federal 9BPLE has a great record!

I would only shoot a few to make sure they work out of my gun, and to make sure I can comfortably, and confidently hit what Im shooting at. My gun would not get a steady diet of them.

Edited by Barry Davis

YES to +P+ in the witness! I am sorta surprised anyone here would suggest otherwise.

USPSA was once the home of MANY "Witness" (actually, Italian Tanfoglio) 9mms that were shooting 9mm ammo at OLD MAJOR - that is, past 175 PF, every single weekend. The TZs that were once common were simply 9mm Tanfoglios or "Witness" guns. That ammo at 175+ easily rivaled .357 Sig out of a 9mm case.

ALL of these guns are just 75 clones. The design is MORE than strong enough for +p. In fact, you could think of the old 9mm ammo as "+p++" - and the guns kept running. Only thing these guns broke regularly was slide stops, and EGW has a low dollar pin that fixes the issue.

Even after the ban on all 9mm major under absurd OALs, those old TZs were simply reamed to 9x21, but the loads were IDENTICAL as far as length, pressure, etc.

Anyway, the 75 by any maker (Tanfoglio/"witness" included) is about as strong of a design as you will ever encounter. Factory +p+ is easily handled.

As far as the manual? My Glock manual told me never ever use any sort of handloaded ammo at all. So much for the manual's "good advice." <_<