Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Revolver Practice

JFlowers

I don't see where a 617 provides any benefit. It still needs a range and if I am at the range I can shoot my primary revolver. An AirSoft or CO2 Revolver would allow for practice at places other than the range.

But the question remains is it worthwhile or, with a revolver, does dryfire provide the same benefit with no additional cost?

I don't see where a 617 provides any benefit. It still needs a range and if I am at the range I can shoot my primary revolver. An AirSoft or CO2 Revolver would allow for practice at places other than the range.

But the question remains is it worthwhile or, with a revolver, does dryfire provide the same benefit with no additional cost?

Maybe I missed the point (again). You're right that a 617 in your living room is a dry fire proposition but I'm not sure if that was the question. At the range a 617 is inexpensive to shoot a bunch and you don't reload the brass. At home best practice (dry fire) seems to be a revolver with heavier trigger pull than your match gun and a red dot sight so you can really see what you're doing as you're running the gun.

I've been known to shoot my 617 and Aguila Colibri's around my place.

I use Drazy Metal Works airsoft aluminum targets and a sheet of plywood as a backstop in my front yard, or even in my shed. The loudest noise is that of the bullet hitting the aluminum plates.

Flowers, From my point of veiw, an airsoft would be "ok" for drawing and first shot practice indoors. I picked up an airsoft (a spendy one) and for the revo it was not that good. Not a good trigger pull not a realistic feel to it. For the money you would be better offf dry firing and practicing your reloads. FWIW I used to take a BB pistol and practice my draw and first shot drills on a aluminum can tied across a doorway. But it did a number on the walls and such. Luckily I was single at the time. Save your money. later rdd

Call me a heretic, but I would lean towards any Airsoft being nearly equivalent practice for revolver, including semis. Consider that the two big things that differ with revolvers are the reload and the trigger pull, both of which are best practiced dry. Otherwise the only real practice you need is to look the sights off, which applies to any handgun.

I'm a big fan of airsoft practice in general, but I don't see that the revolver shape would be necessary.

H.