Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dryfiring With New Pistol

JimmyZip

Well,

After shooting USPSA for a year, I decided that I wanted a gun that would shoot major caliber ammo. I have been shooting L-10 minor, and wanted to switch now before I got too attached to competing with my HiPower.

Well let's just say that I had a wake up call tonight.

No matter how good a pistol feels, or how nice a trigger feels, once you are used to something, it will take some time to get used to the new even better thing. It just will.

The Tactical Sports pistol I just bought feels great, but that HiPower is what I have been used to for years. I first competed with one when I was 12. I started shooting monthly with one when I turned 13. For six years once a month I shot that platform.

I realize that for the first time since I drank the cool-aid, I am outside my comfort zone.

This pistol shoots better. Better sights, better trigger, better caliber (scoring) longer sight radius, the list goes on. But it still isn't that little P-35 that I have become so atttached to .

I almost feel like I am saying goodbye to an old girlfriend. They were the first thing that I shot that felt good to me. Sure I started out with a S&W .38 revo. I wanted so bad for my Pop to let me shoot a bottom-feeder. When he thought I was doing good and had decent trigger control in the double action mode, he let me shoot the HiPowers. I loved them, and it was great to shoot the same pistol as my Dad and occasionally beat him.

But I want to compete on a level playing field. I tried the gun, it shot beautifully, it feels GREAT!

But I will miss my HiPower.

Now I will lock it up in the safe, and try to keep my hands off it. I need to get the feel and controls of this new pistol burned into my head and my hands. It needs to feel to me like the HiPower does now. Like I was born to shoot it.

Time to change the flavor of the cool-aid!

Jimmy

Jimmy

Well,

After shooting USPSA for a year, I decided that I wanted a gun that would shoot major caliber ammo. I have been shooting L-10 minor, and wanted to switch now before I got too attached to competing with my HiPower.

Well let's just say that I had a wake up call tonight.

No matter how good a pistol feels, or how nice a trigger feels, once you are used to something, it will take some time to get used to the new even better thing. It just will.

The Tactical Sports pistol I just bought feels great, but that HiPower is what I have been used to for years. I first competed with one when I was 12. I started shooting monthly with one when I turned 13. For six years once a month I shot that platform.

I realize that for the first time since I drank the cool-aid, I am outside my comfort zone.

This pistol shoots better. Better sights, better trigger, better caliber (scoring) longer sight radius, the list goes on. But it still isn't that little P-35 that I have become so atttached to .

I almost feel like I am saying goodbye to an old girlfriend. They were the first thing that I shot that felt good to me. Sure I started out with a S&W .38 revo. I wanted so bad for my Pop to let me shoot a bottom-feeder. When he thought I was doing good and had decent trigger control in the double action mode, he let me shoot the HiPowers. I loved them, and it was great to shoot the same pistol as my Dad and occasionally beat him.

But I want to compete on a level playing field. I tried the gun, it shot beautifully, it feels GREAT!

But I will miss my HiPower.

Now I will lock it up in the safe, and try to keep my hands off it. I need to get the feel and controls of this new pistol burned into my head and my hands. It needs to feel to me like the HiPower does now. Like I was born to shoot it.

Time to change the flavor of the cool-aid!

Jimmy

Jimmy

I fought this same issue when I switched to production. That was my first foray off the 1911 platform and like you when the dry fire started I wondered if I'd ever get used to the XD.

The difference maker for me, after a good bit of dry fire, was the first match. I just remember how much I struggled with the draw and this and that and the other. On that very first stage, when the RO asked "Are you Ready?" for some reason it all just dissappeared. And when the buzzer went off the gun was up and on target - and when I shot it it felt good.

That experience wasn't the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. I still have plenty of challenges (like reloading!) but it was a confidence booster that things would be ok going forward.

Have fun!

Jack

The more skilled you are, the less the transition time will be. The fundamentals of shooting never change regardless of what platform you are shooting. If you keep the sights on the target until the bullet leaves the barrel, it is impossible to miss.

Give pretty much any of the top tier GM's any reasonable gun and they will shoot within 5% of normal right out the gate.

I've also noticed that a lot of the things that seem like issues in dry-fire and practice (when we're so focused on finding the things that seem to matter or are new and foreign) simply aren't there under match conditions.....

In other words, relax, you've been there before, you'll know what to do....