Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What upper is this 18" Ar barrel that is 1-3/16" in diameter

AlamoShooter

What the heck is this its a flat top Eagle Arms 18" Big Fat Barrel 1-3/16" in diameter. with a target crown.

I friend got it from the Shot show 10 years ago. the full float hand guard is only 7" long with a full profile gas block.

It has hardly been shot at all and the scope mount was a Dog Knot. But the thing groups Like wow!

INTERNET search on Eagle Arms is no good.

seams a shame to cut it down for a 3 gun top

The finish on the upper matches the Eagle Arms lower

Edited by AlamoShooter

Eagle Arms bought the name ARMALITE and changed to there name.

The original ARMALITE, based in California, was a division of the fairchild aircraft company. they were familiar with lightweight materials, like alloy forgings, fiberglass, and plastic.

Gene Stoner designed the original AR10, which Armalite scaled down to make the AR15.

The design was sold to COLT and the rest is history.

In 1995 Mark Westrom, of Eagle arms bought the name Armalite.

Thanks , that explains the lack of response for Eagle Arms. ...But why the ultra fat fairly short barrel? and why the short gas block? 7" out is the short gas system rite.

I am going to shoot it at 500 today and see what it can do. I rushed through a group yesterday at 150 yards and it was impressive

Jamie,

I remember Eagle Arms having a real fat barrel, years ago. I don't recall an 18" version though. The barrel nut had to have been installed before the barrel extension, and there was a groove for the gas tube to fit into.

If you want to lighten it for 3 gun, do it! There's probably no collectors value for it, if there is.....oh well.

I had one of these but it was marked "Armalite". I bought it in 1995 or 96 (can't remember). I showed it to Mark Westrom, president of Armalite, when he came to our training facility in 1997. He said something about not making them anymore because they weren't good sellers or something like that. I sold the rifle to a buddy of mine. It only had a 1-12" twist and i like shooting the heavier stuff.

I have an Armalite Action Master it was a S.H.O.T. Show special in the mid 90's. It has a 20" barrel and under the hand guard it is huge. I'm not a very good rifle shot but with my crappy hand loads you can throw a dime over a five shot 100 yard group. The upper weights more than most guns.

Tim