Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

one way car rental

Anybody know of a cheap way to rent a car for a one-way trip from NJ to NE?

I bought my good friend's dads guns and ammo and need to get them back to my new home in NE. He is paranoid about shipping and I need to get this stuff out of his attic.

If anybody is headed this way from NJ let me know :wacko:

I think I'd do a round trip flight with throwing them in a box and shipping them UPS. Probably would be cheaper and you can turn and burn on the flight (Fly in Friday PM or Saturday AM and fly out Saturday PM or Sunday AM).

Rich

Rental car agencies generally charge an arm and a leg for a drop off. However, Uhaul, etc. might seem expensive at first but when compared to the rental car agencies is much cheaper.

But in all honesty, Rich's idea might be the cheapest in the long run. Although I only use FedEx. They will require a FFL to send or receive if you declare what is in the box. Depending on how many, you can buy a large wardrobe box at a moving place. Buy bubble wrap and really good tape. Taping the outside exceptionally well, prevents the box from tearing. I had FexEx ship a large suitcase and it was only about $60.

The ammo is a different story. Ship it separately. You might want to check the rules on it. I think it has to go ground and you pay a Hazmat fee.

$300-500 is a lot cheaper than a rental car drop off fee. Actually if you had the time, a rental out and back is cheapest still.

The ammo is a different story. Ship it separately. You might want to check the rules on it. I think it has to go ground and you pay a Hazmat fee.

Ammo is not "Hazmat".

UPS will ship ammo without a surcharge, but it must go ground only, and you have to ship from a UPS depot (NOT a UPS store), and label it "ORM-D - Cartridges, Small Arms".

Primers and powder not assembled into ammo are Hazmat and can be shipped only if you have a Hazmat shipper contract on file with UPS. It is my understanding that one of the terms of said contract is that the shipper is responsible for all hazmat related cleanups regardless of fault for the Hazmat spill - which is one reason they require a contract, and won't take hazmat over the counter.

Thanks everyone. Fly-pack/ship and fly seems to be the way to go.

Hope it is worth it. My friends dad gave me a rough description b4 i sent him the cash. When I asked how much ammo he had he said "a whole bunch" (???). So i could be getting a few boxes or Raiders of the lost ark treasure...lol

He was into the whole survivialist movment back when me and his son were kids in the 70's so I am hoping for the best.

I'll let you know how it works out....