Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mac Threat Alert

AZ38super

Even though I don't care for Mac's as a whole I thought I would share this with you that do.

Know anyone that's a Mac User?

Then let them know that malware researchers have discovered what appears to be the first Mac OSX botnet, aka MacBot or iBotnet and its receiving a substantial amount of industry and media interest.

Early estimates suggest that thousands of people have unknowingly downloaded the infected files. Don't let yourself be one of them...

In a nutshell the botnet is launching a number of malware variants inside pirated copies of popular Mac based software in order to take control of the infected Mac machine.

First and foremost make sure that you and your fellow Mac users, exercise caution, have Mac specific security software installed and that your existing version of iAntiVirus is up to date

Edited by AZ38super

If they got infected by stealing software then my sympathy level is low (trending towards non-existent actually). The only way the virus got in there is because you have to provide user/password information to add new software to the Mac. If the software is suspect then you've opened the door to some bad karma.