Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is There Any Truth To This???

gingerbreadman

A guy up at the range was telling me about how to tweak your load going on what your group does, he said something like if the pattern goes left to right do this and if it goes up and down do this....

During my brief expeirance with reloading all iv ever done is adjust the amount of powder and if i was unable to get results i changed powder....

I now have several pounds of several powders and id like to work up new loads for them to burn it off........

-gbm-

I think that would be akin to changing the brand of gas I put in my truck to stop it pulling to the right when I hit the brakes! Horizontal stringing could be a result of pushing or "pulling"the trigger to one side, while the vertical stringing could come from holding an inconsistant grip on the gun (too tight and then too loose). But change powder or loads to correct this? I don't see how.

Alan~^~

Hi

I have no idea about side to side but go out to the range with a dozen slightly different loads of the same powder starting with one that just makes major and holding the gun between stomach and chest (unsighted ) fire a double tap as fast as you can at a target at between 5and 7 meters away, measure the distance between each 2 shots on the target, two of these will be very close tegether and this is the load with which your comp is working best with, its up to you if you decide to use the load as it may well be around 185pf depending on the efficiency of your comp.

bill

A guy up at the range was telling me about how to tweak your load going on what your group does, he said something like if the pattern goes left to right do this and if it goes up and down do this....

:o:o:o

Dont' buy it.

Use that extra powder to learn what it means to allow your watching, witnessing attention to dictate the result.

be

Hi

I have no idea about side to side but go out to the range with a dozen slightly different loads of the same powder starting with one that just makes major and holding the gun between stomach and chest (unsighted ) fire a double tap as fast as you can at a target at between 5and 7 meters away, measure the distance between each 2 shots on the target, two of these will be very close tegether and this is the load with which your comp is working best with, its up to you if you decide to use the load as it may well be around 185pf depending on the efficiency of your comp.

bill

i dont understand that very well bro?????

-gbm-

Hi

bill

I doubt you could tell how efficient the comp is using this method. There are too many other factors that come into play, ie. mainspring and recoil spring. If you set your gun up right there would be no need to ever shoot 185 power factor. Steel challenge guns run at bb gun power factor and they work. You can change your spring setups to tighten your double taps much easier than working loads up to do it. As far as the accuracy, from everything I've heard slide barrel fit determines your potential accuracy more than anything else, and what you were told sound like a wives tale to me. I've shot a few powders and as long as you have consitant componets and loads, they will all perform well enough for IPSC.

Could this be a case of misunderstanding the correlation between light bullet high speed loads and heavy bullet low speed loads in short barreled revos at short distance?

Light bullet fast loads hit lower.

Heavy bullet low speed loads hit higher.

And you may notice a corresponding horizontal spread as well, due to rifling twist/ barrel time. IE: 125gr. 1440 fps lower and somewhat left of 180 gr. 960 fps.

I dunno.

Travis F.