Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any interest?

Alan Adamson

A friend of mine is working with a machine shop to make a 50 hole 9mm case gauge. I've checked into doing something similar with 40 S&W as well. Sure would make testing a bunch of reloads quicker and can be used for sorting headstamps once loaded if required.

Approx cost has been basically worked out and is dependent upon a minimun qty. In order to honor the rules of this site, I'll elect to not provide price/timing/or conduct any specific business. If you'd be interested, please drop me an email with contact info. adamson (underscore) alan at hotmail dot com. I can provide more details directly.

Admins, if this already broke the spirit of the rules on this site, then I'll take my lashes and feel free to deep six this post. (sorry in advance, but I hope I'm ok with this type of query).

Alan

Edited by Alan Adamson

EGW has a seven hole version of the same thing. It's available through Dillon, and by calling EGW directly.

I'd think you'd have to beat their price per hole (IIRC, the unit is about 20 bucks).

I dont see a 50 hole really being a big seller. You still have to pick up each round and put it in the hole, So it wont really be checking more than one at a time anyway. I dont see it being much if any quicker than using one that only holds one round at a time. Plus for a block with 50 perfect holes your gonna spend some machine time. I just dont see how it could be cost effective to produce. The headstamp/ primer check can be accomplished in $1 plastic ammo boxes which can also be used to store and transport the ammo.

The multi-hole unites are about 30-40% faster (for me) than the single hole units when you have a low-failure rate, and if you are doing at least 50 or more. You can just burn thru the gauging, as you hit a rhythm. If the ammo you are testing has a high failure rate for whatever reason, the advantage washes out as you have to poke'n'tap too many loose.

Have to consider also the large # of reloaders who use EGW U-dies or Lee FC dies. Folks using them claim virtually zero reject rates on case gauging, and better on chamber checking, and say they no longer check their rounds under most circumstances.

Have to consider also the large # of reloaders who use EGW U-dies or Lee FC dies. Folks using them claim virtually zero reject rates on case gauging, and better on chamber checking, and say they no longer check their rounds under most circumstances.
I use EGW U die in .40 and 9mm, and catch some failures with my EGW 7-hole case gauges. The failure rate seems to be dependant upon the bullet used. Edited by ben b.